Kids these day eh?

Soldato
Drink-driver, 14, in court fracas
A 14-year-old drink-driver punched a prosecutor and threw a jug of water at magistrates as she was jailed.

Leanne Black, of Thatcham, Berkshire, flew into a rage at Newbury Youth Court after being told she faced four months behind bars for driving offences.

Before the attack, the court took the unusual step of saying she could be named in the public interest.

She is thought to have become the UK's youngest drink-driver at age 12, when she was disqualified for two years.

Three cans of lager

The court heard that on the night of 13 February, Black drank three cans of lager and then stole her father's car keys before driving off in his car to her sister Lilly's house.

Her parents alerted police, who arrested her near her sister's home.

Black later admitted taking a vehicle without consent, driving without a licence, drink-driving and driving while disqualified.

She was also just three months into a court supervision order for other anti-social behaviour offences when the driving offences took place.

Sentencing her at youth court on Monday, Magistrate Margaret Bates banned Leanne from driving for a further three years - even though she is still under the legal driving age of 17.

She was also given an eight-month detention and training order.

Courtroom rage

But when she was told that half of that would be spent in secure accommodation, Black flew into a rage.

Screaming obscenities, she kicked over a chair and punched prosecutor Lesley Gilmore in the back.

She also hurled a jug of water at the three magistrates before being bundled from the courtroom by security guards.

Earlier, with her father, mother and sister by her side, Black told magistrates that she had mended her ways.

"I'm sorry for my behaviour and what I've done," she said. "I know what I have done to my Dad and stuff."

A two year driving ban at the age of twelve? Considering she can't actually legally drive till shes 17 anyway that doesn't really make sense.

:eek:

Mind you what do you expect with a surname like Black ;)

MB

Man of Honour
She's local to me. Never heard about the first offence, but sure heard about this one.

On top of this, a pair of 12-year old kids were also awarded ASBOs today for causing chaos in Portsmouth town centre (going on a rampage through town centre shops). They're now not allowed to be together at all outside their home.

I'll make no jokes about the surname though (even though you did point it out) :p

Associate
Its the parents fault in my opinion. Should have grounded her and maybe given her a little slap at the first sight of bad behaviour. Some parents let their kids do anything.

Soldato
To be honest her parents probably were to blame in some way, dicipline is important and in many cases parents let their kids away with murder. I think my mum and dad would have killed me and the court would need to dig me up to send me to jail.
I really don't understand younger kids these days, they all seem to want to grow up really quickly. I'm trying to enjoy life before the hard stuff starts.

Soldato
Akira said:
Exactly. Would cost less too, in the long run.

Not really... think about it.

Only the crap ones that get caught would be stopped, leaving the ones that get away. You would be selectively breeding a race of super-chav.

Man of Honour
suicidle_tramp said:
Not much when compared to a kid I knew back in Chelmsford, was around that age and nicked a car, he was speeding and knocked down an old man :( Glad I got far away from there :mad:
They're everywhere. Unless you've moved to outer mongolia*, then there's a good chance you'll find one within a few miles.

* Very slight exaggeration

Back
Top Bottom