Treated my ST to a couple of extras

Soldato
Had my Mondeo ST TDCi for 3 months now, and I love it. The handling and grip are fantastic - it has so much feel and you know exactly where you stand with it.

However, I have had a nagging feeling it could handle a touch more power through the gears. In light of this I have acquired the following items:

bluefin.JPG

For those that don't know, a Bluefin is an ECU remapping and diagnostic tool made by Superchips. It stores your existing ECU mapping data in the unit and installs the improved Superchips map in its place. The handset will also read and reset diagnostic trouble codes from the ECU, and can be used to act as an immobiliser by removing the ECU data altogether so the car cannot be started. You can restore your original engine map at any time too. According to Superchips, their latest map for the 2.2 TDCi should give at least 185BHP and 430Nm of torque from 2200RPM.

To get the best out of a Turbo Diesel, you need to get as much air as possible into the engine. I don't want an induction kit for noise reasons, but this should be a good compromise:

filter.jpg

K & N panel filters seem to be well regarded and should let a bit more air through than the standard item.

I've only installed the Bluefin up to now, but :D The car hangs on to the power for an extra 500rpm and the torque is fantastic. It flys from 30-70mph in 3rd gear on a massive wave of torque and nailing it when motorway crusing at 70mph in 6th has the speedo flying past 120mph with ease, on my private track! I shall have to be careful out on the road because its so quiet in 6th its all to easy not to realise how quick you're actually moving.

Now I need to get saving up for some new 225/40/18 tyres because I can't see them lasting much longer!

Soldato
iwrox said:
How does the bluefin rate for a 115bhp standard TDCi? Could always do with more power in the company cruiser :p How much did it set you back?

if thats the 2.0 TDCi im not sure,

most people with the 1.8 TDCi 115 in the focus get about 145 bhp, some closer to 150 with a panel filter.

Blueboy, just how noticeable is it when you really go for it then? everyone on FFOC seems to avoid answering that question :D

Soldato
OP
It makes a very noticeable difference when really gunning it. The engine stays right on the boil until well past 4000RPM, and there is a noticeable increase in torque above 2500RPM.

Retail price for the Bluefin is £499 and the air filter costs around £38. I got the pair for £400 as part of a group buy.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Its a shame the bluefin is so ugly and isnt just a small box out of site in the engine bay somewhere.
Where do you sit it in the car? Wouldnt it get in the way?

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Enfield said:
Surely buying an actual superchip would be cheaper?

This one you can put on / remove whenever you want tho :)

Dont think it would be that much cheaper , these units are only around £200 iirc

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Zip said:
Its a shame the bluefin is so ugly and isnt just a small box out of site in the engine bay somewhere.

HAHAHAHAHA

You plug it in , press a button then remove it. You can ship it to another country once done if you please :p

Sam

Associate
Zip said:

I dont think it sits in the car. You plug it into the engine management thing and it reprograms it and thats it then you remove it. You cannot transfer the bluefin thing between cars either. The only time you use it again is if you wanna put the original map back.

Soldato
you plug the bluefin in, press go, and its done, unplug, pack away.... (and then remove the new map just before any services... potentially...

Soldato
Kamerad said:
So if your in an accident you have to remap the ecu and then eat the bluefin ? :D

hehe

i think its been said the past that a remap is near an invisible mod to detect, i think the only way you can detect it is by drivng the car to find it noticeably faster. When it comes to insurance yeh you got to declare it, but if you have a crash and the cars a write off, no one can drive it anyway ;)

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Kamerad said:
So if your in an accident you have to remap the ecu and then eat the bluefin ? :D

I personally dont think they would ever know :) Who plugs into your engine when you have had a crash

Sam

Soldato
IMo its like heavily modded engine jap cars...

does anyone ACTUALLY strip down the block to check those forged pistons, extra special valve springs, spoon cams... etc :confused:

Soldato
OP
Enfield said:
Surely buying an actual superchip would be cheaper?

Cheapest quote locally for a Superchip was £480, so the Bluefin was a fair bit cheaper, plus I can return it to standard when it goes in for servicing and have a fault code reader should the need arise.

I have disclosed it to my insurers as a remap - it adds £80 a year to my premium.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Conanius said:
IMo its like heavily modded engine jap cars...

does anyone ACTUALLY strip down the block to check those forged pistons, extra special valve springs, spoon cams... etc :confused:

What are forged pistons :confused:

Back
Top Bottom