Phd, DPhil, DPsyche, MPhil, MSc, MA - whats the difference?

Nix

Nix

Soldato
PhD = Doctor of Philosophy.

I'm taking a stab in the dark here but I assume a DPhil and PhD are one in the same.

An MSc or MA is a Masters in Science or Art. They're higher than a degree but lower than a PhD. They usually take up to one year of full time higher education to complete whereas a PhD can take anything around four years.

An MPhil is a Masters in Philosophy.

Man of Honour
D = Docrotate

DPhil = Doctorate of Philosphy. Ph.D covers all doctorate level qualifications, but I'm not sure if that makes them one and the same.

M = Masters

MPhil = Master of Philosphy (I think).
MSc = Master of Science
MA = Master of the Arts

B = Bachelor (University Degree level)

BSc = Bachelor of Science
BA = Bachelor of the Arts

I've never seen a BPhil, but can't rule it entirely nonsensical. :)

Soldato
OP
Borris said:
I would imagine that they are regulated by the institutions that award them.

More than one organisation offers a Phd in a given subject, the courses must be regulated.

I know that the British Psychological Society part regulates a course I am looking at, although that may just be for the sake of 'accreditation' (BPS accreditation seems quite rare amongst vendors of this course) but the doctorate must be regulated by someone else

Associate
Right Phd's, MPhil's and Masters by Research (which is defined as MSc too not to be confused with a standard Masters degree even though some are listed as MSc also) tend to referred to as Research Degrees.

PhD, in essence is a major piece of research work focussing on a particular area within a specific field. Maybe the OCUK PhD'ers will correct me on this, ones research has to provide a new outlook / development within the subject field. Examination tends to be a dissertation, with a viva at the end too. Duration wise, probably a min. of 3 yrs.

MPhil's tend to be awarded to those that have partially completed their PhD. Some academics view it as a failed Phd. Who knows.

Masters by Research tend to be more practical based (1 yr f/t or 2 yrs p/t). and is for anyone who wants to conduct an extended research project in a specific area.

This is what I understand it all to mean. I work at a uni, not an academic though, its just I've had to sit through various meetings where this has been discussed. Sure I have missed something, haven't always managed to stay awake.

Man of Honour
Borris said:
Sure, Wikipedia has more than a few 'senior moments'. I find it is generally pretty good with the science and technology stuff (obvious blunders and silly inconsistencies between similar topics aside), but tends to break badly when getting into historical or biographical arenas. That's a discussion for another thread. :)

PS - Spelling/Grammar Nazis will get their comeuppance - I used an Americanism, complete with American spelling. :p

Back
Top Bottom