is my clutch shot?

Associate
hi lads, i have recently brought a bmw 523i, in the first few weeks of driving the clutch was fine, although for a few days I have been noticing a slight judder when pulling away in first gear, in other gears there are no problems, is my clutch at the end of its life or could it be something else?

Soldato
117 said:
hi lads, i have recently brought a bmw 523i, in the first few weeks of driving the clutch was fine, although for a few days I have been noticing a slight judder when pulling away in first gear, in other gears there are no problems, is my clutch at the end of its life or could it be something else?

That could well be the clutch yes.

I had the same problem with my 205 but it wasn't the clutch it was a the clutch fork. Turned out that one of the two forks was cracked and so only one was working causing the whole car to vibrate.

From the outside the front left wheel was wobbling and the exhaust banging on the rear valance.

Soldato
It might be the clutch valve. In the e46, there is a valve in the clutch to stop you from releasing it too quickly - which may explain the weird juddering. I don't know the exact science, but this is the gist of it. Does it happen when you release the clutch slowly and slip it?

Man of Honour
Does it happy only on part throttle? What happens if you give it more gas when pulling away? Does it happen if you pull away in 2nd? A good way to test the clucth's condition is find a gentle inclide, get up to speed and put it in 5th gear. If your revs increase with no speed increase then your clutch could be slipping.

Back
Top Bottom