4000 + G.skill = ?

Associate
What kind of over clock can I expect with an AMD 4000 and G.skill 2GB DDR ZX PC3200 on a MSI Neo2 Platinum??

I’m not too interested in 3ghz type stuff as that requires skill, experience and someone that knows what they are doing, haha.
Just a small OC to about 2.6 or so will do. Will I be able to run the ram at 1:1 with 1t and tight timings? Or do tight timings matter less if the CPU is faster?

I guess its going to be a touch more complicated than changing a couple of settings in the BIOS and bobs your uncle?

Man of Honour
Don't bother with high frequency ram, just run a divider and get low latency ram. If you're used to Athlon XP clocking, then this'll sound horrid, but real-world performance with these isn't based on the RAM speed.

Associate
OP
Read some stuff:

do you mean keep the frequency of the ram low (200ish?) so the timings can be kept tight and run a divider (?) which allows the CPU to have a high frequency?

^ That just sounds all sorts of wrong, haha :p

Associate
OP
Hi,

Can you post what you changed in your bios to achieve that?

(I know all components are different etc, but a rough guide is always useful.)

Associate
The easy way to clock that cpu on the Msi board is to use the D.O.T. feature on it (Dymnamic Overclocking Tool). In the cell menu in the bios under dynamic overclocking set it to 7% and this will clock your board to approx 2.6 when under load, ie gaming, and will go back to stock when not under load. Just leave everything else as stock and it will do it for you :)

NOTE: this is the easy way to clock it but not the best.

Associate
OP
Ah, it changes under load...

I gave that DOT thing a go yesterday, set to 5% with my 3200, but corecell was saying nothing had changed. Didnt think about checking while it was loaded.

When using that DOT, do you have to set the mobo up to be overclocked (eg set the agp to 67, disable C&Q and plug in the sata hdd to sata 3 port etc etc)

Although a 5% overclock was unstable (both manual and DOT), but thats a whole different story...

Back
Top Bottom