• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

x2 3800 Owners - OC's

Permabanned
Xtorsion said:
Looks like quite a few of us are getting these CCBWE 0601XPMW cpu's. I havent oc'd mine yet but will be very soon. Just wondering if its ok to use the asus software i got with my motherboard to overclock it in the desktop?

Use the bios, will be a lot better.

Tom

Associate
think its cos some/most o/c software that works in windows sucks. it can also get messy if you mess up.

personally, used clockgen and it worked great in the end. first thing i did of course was slide from 2gig to 2.5 gig straight away (10x250). PC rebooted itself instantly and my windows install was a goner! god bless ghost!

took it a little easier, with small voltage bumps and leaving the ram on a divider. used clockgen with superPI and occt to test the overclock. only rebooted to save the settings properly in the bios once each stage had passed (memtest,occt, superPI,prime and s&m)

at the very end i then worried about the ram :)

Associate
Changed my above overclock: I realised my ballistix was capable of 250mhz (500mhz DDR) and so instead of throttling back the ram, I let it fly :)

Boy does she fly, I'm getting 32 on superpi one million... nice stuff for the cpu at that price.

The 3800x2 is rapidly gaining cult status here.

Associate
Mr Mister said:
w00t suicide shot fever!!!

Still testing for stabilty (im on phase if you hadnt guessed :p) 3ghz is stable on 1.46v!! 3.2 is looking pretty stable maybe 3.3 w00t.

Whats your HTT iam on 1.6V on Cpu-Z and that just covers an clock at 2.7Ghz :s must be doing something wrong

Soldato
Kesnel said:
Matt, have a play with your Drive/Date strengths. It seems to me that these BH mem controllers like weak strengths.

okey dokey, cheers for that.. whats your set to?

I'm going to take my gskill 2gb out and put my bh5 2x256 in too to see if I can get some decent 1m superpi times and maybe a higher clock.

Associate
Mine is set to 1/1 right now, and it seems to have helped stability quite a bit. The stronger I make the drive/data strength, the less stable it becomes.

Having less ram will problably improve your clock, these seem to be quite fussy controllers; maybe it's the price we pay for no cold bug.

Permabanned
matt100 said:
what's your max stable then??

still struggling with 3ghz here!

Max stable ive tried at the moment is 3ghz at 1.44v. Havent had much time but will be seeing if i can get 3.2. The trouble is it needs a hell of a lot more volts to do it.

amx

amx

Associate
Bennah said:
Good results amx.

Managed higher after you have burnt it in? What you at now?

I haven't managed to get any higher unfortunately, even with a divider. The system 'seems' stable at 2.72Ghz as I can play games etc, but it fails prime immediately.

So stuck it out at 2.6Ghz.

Soldato
Kesnel said:
Mine is set to 1/1 right now, and it seems to have helped stability quite a bit. The stronger I make the drive/data strength, the less stable it becomes.

Having less ram will problably improve your clock, these seem to be quite fussy controllers; maybe it's the price we pay for no cold bug.

just had a butchers in my bios and I have drive strength settings ranging from about 10 to 1 and data settings asking if I want to reduce by 0%, 50% etc..

what do you suggest?

Associate
Ah I forgot you're using an Expert. I forget which is the lowest drive strength on the board. I imagine you'd be better reducing the data setting though, which would equate to a weaker strength.

I think it will just take a bit of fiddling. Sorry I can't be more help, I'm not very familiar with the Expert.

Soldato
Quick question, will a stock Venice 3000 cooler be enough to cool one of these CPU's, or would I be better grabbing the reail one, or a seperate CPU cooler entirely?

Back
Top Bottom