Samsung SATA - Removable?

Soldato
Hi there,

I have just installed windows again and the samsung sata drive is showing up as a removable hard drive and has really poor performance?

Why is this?

Thanks...

Permabanned
No offence to you mate but I see same Q's here every day and all answers are in Q&A in above sticky, but I will answer you for now as a show of good faith.

SATA is (depending on your mobos controler) hot plugable, so you can add/remove drives as windows runs, obv this is once you have actually installed them primary, the pins on the power and sata connection have a staggered earth pins so it earths (grounds) 1st and opposite when unplugging, this stops it shorting out like EIDE would do.

The fact you have that icon in notification area is proof your mobo fully supports, you best check it to see if its set same as my usb card readers where it will not need you to click "safely remove hardware" as its set for "optimise for quick removal" which has write cache dissabled so will be slower or does it infact have "optimise for performance" where write cache is enabled, and you must choose "safely remove hardware" before removing it.

If this icon is bugging you simple hide it always, you can still see it hitting little button next to it if need be.

Soldato
OP
Hi there,

Sorry for my ignorance and not looking in the Sticky thread first, its just i was in a hurry.

Ok.....so what about the poor performance?

Thanks...

Soldato
OP
Well my sata is getting 50-60....but it should be getting 150 shouldnt it or nearabouts?

I have installled my chipset drivers and they are the latest ones (this was off a new install)

Or is it that SATA should be 50-60?

Permabanned
A non Raptor @ 7200rpm will get 55MB on a good day if modern 16MB drive, thats in HD-TACH 3.0, some other apps read bit higher.

Soldato
that's a bit low but not by much

7k250.jpg

My year old hitachi 7k250 8mb s-ata drive. modern drivers are pushing into the 60-65mb average now.

The drives are the limiting factor, not the sata interface.

Last edited:
Permabanned
No there not
A non Raptor 7200rpm drive in non raid will get approx 55MB, possibly 60MB pushing it, Raptor 150 only specs 78MB approx and thats what I get exactly.
I can use other apps and get 84MB.

Permabanned
Lot of dips, PC must be AXX something, I can get smooth curve but once I got massive dip and only 45MB sec and seen windows update had auto ran, after I got normal 78MB

Permabanned
Cool, 55MB is what I said can be expected, some may hit 60MB, look at list of drives in HD-Tach, but dont take thats as fact as different PC's = diff controlers and possible bare OS with no apps installed.

BTW 1year old is new tech, Im talking older ata100 drives even 133 maxtors wont hit 55-60MB, a diamondmax9 may and a 10 will cause ive owned all them.

Permabanned
James I dont know if we are agreeing ot not, I cant make sence of posts, :confused:

Ask smids what a normal sata 150 or 300 drive today will get approx 55-60MB max non raid in sustained read, you want more on single drive, you need a Raptor, 150 gets 78MB here bang on WD's specs.

Soldato
OP
Hi there,

So what am i doing wrong setting up the drive then? I installed Sata Drivers or what i thought were sata drivers and the drive was partitioned with the samsung partion manager? the chipset drivers are installed?

Thanks...

Soldato
Make sure your drive isn't in PIO mode. If it is, you need to run it in DMA. I can't see any other reason why the drive is performing so slowly. What motherboard have you got Conrad11 and what is your SATA controller. Usually, in devce manager under the IDE/ATAPI controllers, you have an option in the properties to let BIOS set the transfer rate, then you have to go into BIO and make sure everything is setup on Auto for the drives.

About this debate on modern drives - it entirely depends on the platters used/size of the drive. An 80GB modern drive will get about 51MB/s (I got my Hitachi 7K80's SATA-II's in Feb and they got that. Larger drives have larger platters usually and these are necessarily denser than the smaller drives. This means they have a slight advantage due to their sheer size. My 1 year old Seagate 7200.8 250GB scored 59.8MB/s (no HDtach, sorry). TBH, I think 62MB/s is about the limit for a 7200rpm drive, even one using large platters - my Seagate uses two 133GB platters which are among the fastest, however Seagate's aren't fast drives, hence the reason it topped out where it did. In a faster drive like the Hitachi, it might have scored higher. For reference, my Raptor 74GB's scored about 66MB/s-70MB/s and the 150GB I had 78MB/s.

james.miller is right, there has been a trend in increased speed, but I think we've finally hit the wall for 7200rpm at about 62MB/s (max). This does depend on the controller too though. Often Intel ICH6R and 7R score consistently higher than most other controllers - one thing I'll give Intel ;).

Back
Top Bottom