do i need a new psu

T C

T C

Associate
just got an asus a8n-sli board and im running 2 6600gt's , my old atx psu is 550w but only has the 20 pin connector and the 4 pin , but doesnt have the 4 pin that runs next to the 20 pin. should i realy get a new psu everything seems to work fine without it ? or can you get an adapter for it

Associate
T C said:
just got an asus a8n-sli board and im running 2 6600gt's , my old atx psu is 550w but only has the 20 pin connector and the 4 pin , but doesnt have the 4 pin that runs next to the 20 pin. should i realy get a new psu everything seems to work fine without it ? or can you get an adapter for it

Lots of posts on this one lately :rolleyes:
You really should get an ATX 2.0 PSU with 24 pin and sli connectors.
I believe your ASUS mobo will run on a 20 pin but this is not a good idea and you should at least get an adaptor!
What is the make and model of your 550w PSU? If you don't post that information, nobody can make an informed reply as to its suitability!

Hi, and best of luck. Hope it's not a Qtec 'cause they aint got a very good reputation IMO.

Permabanned
550w is plenty for your setup as far as I can tell. As long as it works fine then "If it 'aint broke don't fix it".

Associate
T C said:
its a magna and its 500w not 550 made a mistake, its a big gold thing with dual fans

I have heard of Magna's that they are decent PSU's and one I 'inherited' was fine and gave long service! ;)
I would still get a 20 to 24 pin adaptor and see how it goes because the 12v rails are probably a bit lower powered than ATX 2.0 PSU's.

:( Why haven't you overclocked your rig :mad: It's your duty to do so :D

T C

T C

Associate
OP
stvmor said:
I have heard of Magna's that they are decent PSU's and one I 'inherited' was fine and gave long service! ;)
I would still get a 20 to 24 pin adaptor and see how it goes because the 12v rails are probably a bit lower powered than ATX 2.0 PSU's.

:( Why haven't you overclocked your rig :mad: It's your duty to do so :D

give me a break i only built it yesterday :) will be playing with it this week when i get my head around HTs because i only have value ram

will go for the adapter then, had a look around and my local shop is the cheapest for a change only £5 for enermax adapter

Associate
T C said:
give me a break i only built it yesterday :) will be playing with it this week when i get my head around HTs because i only have value ram

will go for the adapter then, had a look around and my local shop is the cheapest for a change only £5 for enermax adapter

LOL, I knew you couldn't resist ;)

Associate
my foxconn ran on a 20pin, but now i have a hiper so i used all the 24 pins, but nothing was wrong with it wen i ran it with 20,

u can download manual off the net which tells you if the mobo can operate with just 20pin

Back
Top Bottom