XP sp2 causing connection problems?

Associate
Hi all, I run a wireless lan at home and keep experiencing connection drop offs (real pain in the preverbial when playing online).

Now the problem first looked to be that the wlan was crapping up but on closer inspection the wlan connection holds steady even when windows says the connection has dropped (found by viewing the connection status of the network through belkin utility).

The connection doesn't stay down though. It literally just blips off which is of course enough to pull me out of the game and to stop any downloads and disconnect me from MSN or TS.

I've been told that some people experience this problem due to a bug in service pack 2 and that it can be fixed but no-one has been able to tell me how. Was wondering if anyone on here knows of the issue and if possible a fix for it.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
I wouldn't necessarily point at XP SP2. Have you checked windows update for further updates? Worth also checking for new drivers for your WLAN card.

What kit are you using?

Associate
What settings are you using for your WLAN - encryption, special high-speed modes, signal strength control settings?
What gear are you using - same / different manufacturer's AP/router and network card?
Are you using proprietary manufacturer special functions across different manufacturer's equipment - 108 Mbyte modes or 802.11N?
Are thre any WLANs nearby which might be interfering with yours - same channel / band?

Associate
OP
Equipment is all Belkin 802 stuff. Router, Card and Access point. Currently have no encryption set as am trying to sort out this problem and the other modes are all as standard.
Yes there is another wlan that my comp will occasionally pick up on.
The thing that leads me to beleive it is not the wlan is the fact that even when the connection has dropped a few times in a half hour period the wireless network status still reads as being connected for ages.

Back
Top Bottom