Missing File When Installing XP SP2

Associate
:confused: After going through the setup for windows XP, it seems to hang and stutter as it gets to the end jsut before saving settings.

It then askes me to insert the windows SP2 disk....which is already in the drive :confused:

It wants the file "i386", but when I click on the optical drive in the menu it says its unavailable.

Im confused as to why the optical drive does not appear at this point but all the files before hand are copied from the drive.

Any ideas, im going to try a different drive later on.

*edit* Spec if needed

X2 4400
DFI Expert
200GB spinpoint sata
1GB corsair pro Cas2
HP dvd lightscribe drive

Last edited:
Associate
I'm a PC technician and install XP quite a few times .In my experience if the PC suddenly stops loading or freezes on instalations , It's probably the CD drive.I've had to change 1 or 2 to continue with the installation.

Associate
I had missing files when I was installing XP and as above I changed my dvd drive and that sorted it, the drive I changed was a brand new Sony and it was the first time it had been used.

Associate
Was the machine overclocked, I had one PC build which needed reformatting and for some reason it would miss a file off, put everything back to stock and it installed no problem, dont ask me why though as I have installed windows on loads of overclocked machines.

Back
Top Bottom