Major PC Problem, help needed!

Associate
Hi guys,

Really need some help here. My PC has been dying over the past hour or so, and I'm not sure what the problem is.

Everything was fine yesterday, and today I come home from work looking forward to starting a new character on Oblivion.
First I downloaded the new drivers from Nvidia because I heard they have a few Oblivion optimizations. Uninstall old ones, driver cleaner, restart and install the new ones. Everything is fine :)

I decide to do some cleaning up, so I put on the Nvidia Mad Mod Mike Demo while I work. I go out of the room and come back to find the monitor has lost signal. Tried re starting, POST completes BEEP but monitor loses signal again.

This carries on for some time, and I also notice the fans sound different as well, the speeds arent constant. Speeding up and slowing down.
I noticed if I leave it alone, the PC keeps re starting. Passes POST and then monitor loses signal.....
Opened the case, replaced my 7800GT with an old PCI card that I KNOW works, but no signal output at all from that one.
Tried different RAM, but no luck
Sometimes I try to power up but NOTHING comes on appart from the LED's on the front of my coolermaster case......no Fans, nothing

I suspect my PSU may have gone - Globalwin 460 Watt Saphire model....but I need to confirm before I buy another one.

Thanks folks, really need advice here. At the moment the PC either POSTS and monitor loses signal, or doesn't power up at all

Associate
I agree, it sounds like the PSU as you sometimes get nothing! However, PSU's usually stop altogether?
A quick Google found a good review of your PSU!
I would strip all components and connections off the mobo, hoover any dust away then reassemble and try again before changing out parts. I don't like the intermittent nature of your problems :confused:

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice :) I had most of the components unplugged last night, and the PC isn't very dusty because I clean it once a mnth or so.

If it was any of the other components, wouldnt the BIOS let me know?

i.e one long beep and two short for the graphics card etc?

EDIT: I decided to order a new PSU regardless......it's about time I forked out for a brand new one - Akasa Paxpower 460 Watt from OCUK

If it's the Mobo thats the problem, it can be RMA'd. Still, any more thoughts?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Again, I just stripped everything out bar the CPU and one stick of Memory.
It's still behaving the same way.

I've just put everything back and tried it one last time.

Switch on -----> POST's ok (50% of the time)-------->Sometimes I see the initial MSI Platinum Screen on my monitor for a few seconds, then standby again.

If I leave it alone it will keep repeating the Post at random intervals but I hardly ever see the initial MSI Platinum screen on my monitor once it does. Most of the time it remains in standby

Fans spinning up (they sound a bit strained if you know what I mean)

Permabanned
Just a question .. Afer you put the new drivers in ... Did you change the refresh rate of the screen by any chance ? or alter the screen resolution ?

I had the very same problem after running that mad mod mike demo , If i remember right it has 2 diffrent versions ( both the same ) but with 2 diffrent resolutions .

Bit of a long shot but worth a try ... Change the refresh rate on your screen using the monitor's menu buttons ...As i said ..bit of a long shot .. but i seem to remember doing exactly the same thing and that is what i did to resolve it .

Associate
OP

I remember Installing the drivers and leaving the setting at 60hz, which is what I always leave it at.

I saw the Demo start up ok and it was running when i left the room. Came back and the machine was on standby. Nothing is Overclocked by the way

:confused:

Associate
It's not a bad idea to update your PSU! I would wait till the new one is installed before trying anything else just in case it does go bang :eek: OCUK delivery is very fast :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks mate, will do :)

Thats what I'm worried about. I don't want to keep trying it in case it does give up and takes more components with it.
I'll be taking it out tonight, along with all other components. Once the new one arrives i'll be effectivley re building the machine.

hopefully all the powering on and off hasn't corrupted my OS!!

EDIT: Ordered new PSU from OCUK this morning at 9am, and it's showing as dispatched as of 11:50am :D

Associate
OP
UPDATE:

The new power supply sorted everything. I was rather worried it was my motherboard that was the problem, but the PC sprung back to life after I installed the PSU (Akasa Paxpower 460 LED).
I was amazed at the difference! The components just seemed allot more......alive if you know what I mean? The Globalwin was struggling, but I didn't realize quite how much until now.

Thanks to all who posted ;)

Back
Top Bottom