• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AM2 doesn't look worth the wait?

Associate
Found this today, i'm sure it may have been posted already but anyway:

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/default.aspx?bid=279

Just confirmed my original thoughts that DDR2 wouldn't offer an increase, mainly because of the crap latencies.

Stuff I have read recently leads me to thinking that i'm better off with good ol' 2-3-2-5 PC3200 instead of PC4000 or upwards and then running a divider.

Man of Honour
AMD will probably bring out a new revision of Athlon at the same time, but either way, it's not going to make a huge difference.

Permabanned
Monstermunch said:
Stuff I have read recently leads me to thinking that i'm better off with good ol' 2-3-2-5 PC3200 instead of PC4000 or upwards and then running a divider.

YES YES YES. finally someone with sense. now go into the memory forum and pimp that fact mate, im on my own in there atm

Suspended
In terms of it affecting S939 prices, AM2 is worth the wait! ;)

I'm slowly saving cash up for a budget gaming system (have been for months now) and a cheap venice core S939 Athlon 64 is what I intend to get!

Associate
GAMEfreak said:
thats better than my ddr1 500 kit which does 3-4-4-8 at stock, so it does look like theres potential, although, i still think its not worth it, considering the HT bus on amd chips...

Why considering the HT bus on amd chips, the way they run is going to be changed on AM2 its going to be high freqs and low multi's to allign with DDR2.

Associate
When AM2 is released DDR2 will be developed in much greater depth, and you will see much better timings. Look how long it took for DDR1 to start producing really tight timings.

But yes it won't be as good as the Conroe chips when they come out.

Soldato
Everything is hyperthetical at the moment until much nearer release (imo) and remember the initial chipsets are never particularly stable or fast until a few months into release.

By this time next year AM2 may well be "The Thing To Have" ( I say we should all say TTTH from now on hahahaha)

Dont get me wrong conroe may be fabulous and it could be Intel's turn to knock the performance ratings on its head again - but they are hugggggee and they need to eat humble pie for a while yet I personally think

Associate
FrankJH said:
Dont get me wrong conroe may be fabulous and it could be Intel's turn to knock the performance ratings on its head again - but they are hugggggee and they need to eat humble pie for a while yet I personally think

Agreed there mate.

I also like the idea that AM2 will bring the price of S939 down a lot over time, as has been mentioned, making the really fast chips quite a bit cheaper as well.

Bring it on is all i can say.

Soldato
woodsy2k said:
Agreed there mate.

I also like the idea that AM2 will bring the price of S939 down a lot over time, as has been mentioned, making the really fast chips quite a bit cheaper as well.

Bring it on is all i can say.

Fair point but with little or no developement going into the presently hi speed s939 chips once AM2 comes out, in a years time why would performance related peope like us be interested ( remember we are talking 2007 and later) I cant see s939 being of much interest myself - unless its for an MCE budget rig or something

Just my opinion mind

S_D

S_D

Associate
The main thing to remember about AM2 is that it's AMD responding to the shift in memory manufacturing towards DDR2 more than anything else. They have almost been forced to do this, so they have to make the best of it. As DDR2 starts to really improve in high speeds and lower latencys we'll see AMD's architecture benefit as a result, and by launch AM2 should really be able to go from where S939 leaves of (although I accept of course that S939 is going to be with us for a while after that).

Simon

Caporegime
Currently DDR2 only have about 5% or so give or take extra performance over DDR1, indeed there are "SOME" modules that run a hell of a lot better, but you'd have to shell out for them...I think once DDR2 is out for a bit longer, and the memory manufacturers have more to work on in terms of amd boards and intel boards, DDR2 will shine, for now theres now major reason to switch to DDR2, unless the AM2 platform boosts DDR2's performance in a way that hasent actually been shown yet...Meh, im happy with buying my standard DDR so hey :p

Don
Duke said:
AMD will probably bring out a new revision of Athlon at the same time, but either way, it's not going to make a huge difference.

Yeah there is talk of increased cache but it won't be anywhere near enough an improvement to get near the Conroe by the looks of things.

I'm expecting Intel to not only be performance king, but value king and the overclockers choice all at the same time once Conroe is out. Something for everyone.

Jokester

Soldato
I still think AMD are hiding something.
AMD other than releasing the dual cores havent had any major architecture changes recently. Its possible that they may have just kept it quiet, just image the blow that Intel would take if they released Conroe thinking they are comfortably the best.
Then out of nowhere AMD release something seriously special.

-can always hope anyway

Associate
welshtom said:
YES YES YES. finally someone with sense. now go into the memory forum and pimp that fact mate, im on my own in there atm

lol - i agree - its always been the case that latencies are preferable to speed when it comes to a64 - why would ddr2 be any different?

amd will be releasing low power versions of the dual core and single core chips which should overclock very nicely (from what ive read anyway)

Associate
But, do you not think that AMD know about DDR2 latencies and will have tweaked the memory controller accordingly? When DDR2 latencies drop further (they are fairly low as it is...as stated we have modules that do 3-2-2 @ DDR 667 IIRC), AMD will probably release another revision of the memory controller to account for this.

Back
Top Bottom