HID Kits

Soldato
I'm looking to bulk purchase some HID kits, have any of you fitted aftermarket HID lights before?

Any brands to avoid? I've been offered them at ~£160 a set, does that seem like a good price?

Man of Honour
That's about the going price - quite a good deal actually. What bulb type does the VX have? Twin headlamps? Are you going to go for your dipped beam only? (I reccomend that tbh - HID dipped beam, and nice vision+ bulbs for main beam.) Or does the VX have the combination bulb? (dipped & main in one)?

Suspended
Firestar_3x said:
I wouldn't waste the money and add the weight tbh, HID on dipped should be more than enough bet you won't use your full beams :)
If I was converting my S1 to HID, I'd want both. I use my full beams a lot, more so other people can see me...

Caporegime
Nozzer said:
If I was converting my S1 to HID, I'd want both. I use my full beams a lot, more so other people can see me...

Using HID on dipped provideds more than enough light for the dark lanes, using additional HID on Full will provide more light but the increase in brightness over a single unit imho don't justify the added cost, if like freefaller said you use HID on dipped and some Vision plus bulbs on full this will still allow you to flash ppl and make yourself visible :)

All imho :)

Suspended
I have driven cars with HID headlights ;) It's the extra light at full beam that's beneficial. You're probably right though, thinking about it.

I also have 'driving lamps' in my Elise which provide even more light.

Soldato
IIRC HID bulbs need time - a few seconds - between switching off and then back on again and they need time to warm up before reaching full brightness.

IMO this makes them unsuitable as replacements for high beam.

Man of Honour
Most cars with factory fit HID lights don't have HID main beams AFAIK. Tomsk is right, they do take a few seconds to get up to working "temperature". HID lights are brilliant especially the 4300-6000K colours, and along with some decent high beam bulbs are perfect for night driving as they give deeper crisper light and complement the high beams well. That's my personal opinion.

Suspended
Muncher said:
I think he means on country roads people will see your beam well before approaching them, so they are aware of your presence.
Partly that, I also drive around in the daytime with all my front lights on. As you're no doubt aware, anything that helps people see our low little cars is worth doing :).

Soldato
OP
Nozzer said:
Partly that, I also drive around in the daytime with all my front lights on. As you're no doubt aware, anything that helps people see our low little cars is worth doing :).

Yeah, I don't in daylight but put them on as soon as it gets even remotely dull.

Man of Honour
Firestar_3x said:
Thought you would stand out quite well being a blue car and all, better to be safe than sorry!

Ah yes, but when you drive a car that's very low to the ground, and either below or very low on people's rear view mirrors - every little helps. It helps eliminate or reduce the validity of the "oops didn't see you there" line. I have to say I do tend to put my lights on early than most owing to this. I'm quite used to having my lights on on my bike during the day. It just helps put more things in your favour. :)

Back
Top Bottom