guitar - dead notes

Suspended
Im slowly teaching myself guitar, and im still at the very early stages. I know what a ghost note is, but I cant find any definitions for a dead note, is a dead note simply a ghost note by a different name or are they different?

Suspended
OP
I was going to post it there, but its so quiet normally there. But im pretty sure im not breaking the rules since my question isn't about music, films and live artists.

Well music, but on the tab theory side not the listening side.

Associate
What are you talking about not it wont, there are lots of highly talented musicians here who read it regularly and will answer you fairly quickly. Have a bit of respect :o

Last edited:
Associate
Oh and have you heard about this awesome new website, its really good at getting fast responses. Its powered by some sort of monkey ape type breed and runs on bananas. What you do is you type something in and surfs the web for you picking out relevant sites. Clever little monkey. Anyway, I think its www.google.com

And to summarize what i learnt from my google adventure, a ghost note is an implied note and not really played, at least not noticibly. So if i played a note, and then were to play to the note again as a ghost note i would just ignore it, perhaps just let the previous note ring to signify it or play it very softly. A dead note is a sound with no relevant pitch, otherwise known in guitars as a scrub, where you mute a string/the strings with your fretting hand to give a kind of thud sound.

I can do the internet, me :D

No im not high

Last edited:
Suspended
OP
Tried that, got tons of results for ghost notes but none useful for dead notes. Which i found odd.

lol read the top part of that passage, maybe i should have read the rest. o well, we live we learn

Soldato
Worry not my friend for I shall share with ye my knowledge of guitarwork...

A "ghost note" is a general term used throughout music to describe a very quiet note that is hardly noticeable but yet adds another dimension to the song. Basically it's a note played very quietly.

A dead note is a term that really only applies to stringed insturments and is basically a muted note. This is not quite the same as a palm muted note however, but if you are playing an acoustic to pick the string while heavily muting it to create the "dead" note.

A recent example of this is that Artic Monkeys song about the scumbag (i don't know lol)..

Just after he says "He's a scumbag doncha know..." The guitar plays 3 chords I believe and the strums a chord while heavily muting to create a dead note sound!

Voila :)

Sic

Sic

Soldato
a ghost note is like a dead note, but it cant pass over and become dead as it has some unfinished business in the real world. a dead note makes completely no sound (arguably "silence" :confused: ) but a ghost note will resound in your practice room for weeks opening drawers and stealing your duvet in the night.

Soldato
Quite a few replies from the "crappy ol' Music forum" it seems :p :D

I've always found the guys in here to be top drawer (i.e. where you keep your copy of Razzle) and as long as you dont ask something incredibly obscure or irritating, you'll always get a reply.

Although given your attitude towards the forum i'm surprised anyone bothered.

Im learning to play the guitar and im admittedly crap, ghost notes to me are just another thing to make me want to shoot myself on a sunday. I got completely confuzzled whilst trying to play Sting - Shape of my heart. Guitar Pro sorted this out though.

Good luck with what you are doing but i'd hope you'd be a bit more respectful next time. ;)

Soldato
joemorris86 said:
Ahh man :( It will take ages to get answered here.

if i was up at 3am in here i coulda told you exactly what it was straight away!

people always underestimate this section, this week every other thread has been guitar related in some way!

use the correct forum in future, you might just be surprised :rolleyes:

joemorris86 said:
I do have respect, its just the last few questions I posted here didn't get a single reply.

can you link to those threads? just did a search, not sure how far back it goes and it seems that you've only ever posted in music 3 times since february.

and as a bonus one here, you asked the question on dusters in here, you had a perfectly decent reply WITHIN 7 MINUTES, and then plenty of follow up replies/questions within that thread!

Last edited:
Soldato
If you've got a dead note then you might want to consider getting your guitar set-up :p

I've never heard of dead notes. Definitions of ghost note have been correct, it's one that is implied/played lightly.

You might mean an acciacatura or grace note? :s

Soldato
Andelusion said:
I've never heard of dead notes....

This is correct, trust me :p :
Docaroo said:
A dead note is a term that really only applies to stringed insturments and is basically a muted note. This is not quite the same as a palm muted note however, but if you are playing an acoustic to pick the string while heavily muting it to create the "dead" note.

Andelusion said:
You might mean an acciacatura or grace note? :s

Nope, a grace note is slightly different from a ghost note, a grace note is a quiet note played very quickly just prior to playing another note, a ghost note however does not have to be followed by another note! :)

Man of Honour
And don't forget that dmpoole will come along and tell you that he saw Jimmy Page play a dead note and ghost note when he saw him play live in 1971 and that in fact dmpoole invented them.

(Actually I've never heard of them so they can't be any good)

And if you learn to play these ghost and dead note things then I expect an entry in here -

OCUK Guitar Warriors (and others)

Soldato
Docaroo said:
This is correct, trust me :p :

Nope, a grace note is slightly different from a ghost note, a grace note is a quiet note played very quickly just prior to playing another note, a ghost note however does not have to be followed by another note! :)

I know ;) I was just wondering if the OP was confused.

Back
Top Bottom