What can I use to clean cpu/heatsink

rlm

rlm

Associate
I have a DFI NF4 board with a 1900xt due tomorow, which means that I will need to change my cpu etc over from my current board onto this new one. When they are removed the contact surface will no doubt need a good clean for both items. I've tried getting hold of some isopropyl alcohol but I cant find a chemist that sells it, I'm just wondering what, if any, cleaning solvents I could use instead that you might find around the house. I have nail varnish remover (not mine) and the standard cleaning things that I wouldnt want to go near my pc with. Any suggestions as to what I could use, just wondering if there is something I havent thought of.

Associate
I've used Acetone (standard Boots nail polish removed) on a few 32-bit AMDs. So if I can scrub away on the actual die with a cotton bud and some Acetone, I reckon it will be fine on a metal IHS. One thing: make sure it doesn't have any colourings in it, it can leave a crud behind which isn't good for thermal transfer.

rlm

rlm

Associate
OP
I might try white spirit. If it kills my fx53 then its my own fault, thanks for the info. Might try 1 last chemist tomorow, with luck I hope.

Soldato
Isopropyl Alcohol is the only thing I would even consider using to be honest. You can buy it from chemists for next to bugger all and it will last you an eternity. I've been using the same bottle here now for about 3 years and have enough left for another 20 :)

Edit: Or Mustard ;)

rlm

rlm

Associate
OP
Right everything is up and running, but I have a couple of questions and thought I'd post here rather than starting a new thread, hope everyone sees it.

I have the Dfi NF4 board, there is an annoying thing in bios where it automaticly controlls the speed of the cpu fan depending on its temp. Is there any way to disable this feature on the board?

Also on my Powercolour 1900xt the fan runs really slowly all the time, I can hear on startup that it can go much faster, any suggestions as to how I can get it to increase its speed?

Bit of a variety of questions so I didn't post in the respective sections.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom