Fanless 600W External Power Supply

Permabanned
Manifest said:
yeh ive always wanted a display so id know how much my pc is actually taking from my psu.....

ME TOO!!!

:rolleyes:

No I don't really.
And yes I do sense the sarcasm from your post aswell.
Doesn't really impress me being external, what's the point, now there's a big open space and hole in your case.

MC_Bob

Associate
I thought it might come across that way, no im serious im a geniunly interested in how much power my pc needs. I have a 580w psu and im sure im not using all the watts i just would interested to know. The psu is basically the only part of the system that is still a mystery to me lol

Soldato
It looks good but cannot imagine it will be a top performer with heat pipes inside & only $60.

The Antec Phantom 500 I have is still the best Fanless PSU to date (although it is only classed as semi-fanless due to a tiny silent internal 60mm fan which you can never hear). The entire PSU is one massive heatsink. It cost me approx £135 from OCUK last summer.

I would not expect to get a high end PSU for much less than £100 as the internal components need to be high quality regardless of where it is situated.
You are probably better off with an internal PSU in case any slight movement caused the external unit to come loose which could destroy most of your PC in the process.

Associate
Yar, the XG Magnum series are pretty nice looking PSU's.

They do a semi-passive 500w model, which has an impressive copper /heatpipe cooling system. It's modular also and has the display on it's rear...

Now they've come up with this external one, which I think is a great idea. You can sit this beside/on top of an SFF and gain enough room inside to fit a proper HSF.

I'm waiting for a review I can trust, I actually don't know anywhere you can buy these in the UK. Over-sea's reviews paint a good picture though.

JCBeastie

Soldato
OP
The $60 price tag is misleading it applys to another power supply
thats above the XG in the link.

I found the supply at NewEgg and it was $200

Soldato
Ice Tea said:
The $60 price tag is misleading it applys to another power supply
thats above the XG in the link.

I found the supply at *COMPETITOR* and it was $200
competitor posted there mate ^^
i know they only do USA but i'd still not post it.

Associate
Umm, I've heard that the idea of a PSU telling you how much power your system is using has been tried before.. But didn't work that well. Let's see how this one performs.

But I have to question the benefit of a 600W external, passive power supply.

If you have a PC that needs 600W, chances are, it is a pretty hot running PC.
Meaning that you'll probably want some airflow anyway even if you pick top passively cooled components. And if you don't plan to run passive... the last thing you'd worry about is the noise coming from a Seasonic/hybrid PSU.

Soldato
possibly the worst review i have seen, ever.

slang spelling, no hardware test, no rail tests, no draw test and
The only constructive criticism we have to MGE is to use only one name as the brand name. Using MGE and XG at the same time is confusing. As you can see on Figure 1, XG is the brand name on the box, but on the power supply itself the brand used is MGE. Even though XG is a brand name of MGE, the vast majority of users don’t know about this and can question if they bought the correct product or not.

is that a joke?
thats the con of the psu, the name? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom