NEC LCD20WGX2 review *** UPDATED 25/02/06 ***

Soldato
Just fired my NEC up & all looks good so far.

Had to connect it to my Mum's drastically aging PC via the analog connector.
Placed the order to take advantage of the this week only deal before I went to see the total solar eclipse in Turkey (which was spectacular btw). As I knew the offer would expire before I arrived back, I had it delivered round to my Mum's while I was away. Couldn't test it at the native res but there looks to be no dead pixels that I can see. On looking at a black background it seems there is only slight bleed in the bottom left of the screen.
Will post again next week once I've managed to get the screen home & connected up to my PC good & proper.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread regarding NEC's investigations. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
toxic said:
Nickk...how do you find it? and what was your last monitor for comparisons sake.

Cheers

My last monitor was a CRT (Sony 200ES) at 1024x768 @ 85Hz. I can't use anything less than 85 otherwise I end up with a headache and feel sick.
Just as a performance reference, the machine is running an X800XL and has an X2 4400+2Gb of RAM (overclocked).

My only experience with LCDs are a mates Dell 2405, two mates 2105s and the Thinkpad T42 + 17" Thinkvision second monitor I have at work. One mate has had several older LCDs where you could see ghosting of even the mouse pointer.

First impression is... well my speakers look decidedly pap next to it's physical beauty. Second impression is I how big the desktop is. Closely followed with my eyes being blinded at 23% brightness!

So far, I've tried the following games:
1. Oblivion - Slight issue with performance due to previously running in a lower res with all the setting on :D
2. X3 Reunion - Nice... the feel of space is phonominal.. the stars don't seem to ghost either.
3. Battlefield 2 - problem... no 1680x1050 resolution... and widescreen isn't supported (much to the discust of those on the EA gaming forums). 1680x1050 can be achieved but the picture is streched to that resolution rather than rendered to it.

The bleeding is very obvious on BF2 and it's now obvious on the desktop too.

Last edited:
Associate
I keep hearing about 'bleed'.

Would someone care to explain to me exactly what it is and how to look out for it? I'm looking to get a tft in the near future and this whole issue seems very common!?

Soldato
gizmo1990 said:
I keep hearing about 'bleed'.

Would someone care to explain to me exactly what it is and how to look out for it? I'm looking to get a tft in the near future and this whole issue seems very common!?

It's where the screen is illuminated by light leaking that causes a lighter areas of the screen. The result is that all colours (not just when it's black) are paler and uneven over the screen.

As posted previously:
Image(56).jpg

Which basically identical to mine between the blanking screen saver kicks and the power save after. With the brightness at 19% this is visable on the desktop.

Associate
Has anyone yet had a solution from NEC on these monitor problems ?

Turned mine on last night and thought hey all the green bleed has gone :) then after about 30mins it all crept back in :( its all looks pants again.

Spoke to a mate whos got a Samsung 32" HDTV that he uses as a monitor and he said he has similar issues but he seams to think its not a problem !

Well to me if it can't display black as actual black rather than greeny/purple haze its not up to the job and i'd like one that works or my money back

I've not yet rang them up, is it actually worth ringing them at this stage ?

Cheers

Associate
Yorkshirepadd said:
Has anyone yet had a solution from NEC on these monitor problems ?

Turned mine on last night and thought hey all the green bleed has gone :) then after about 30mins it all crept back in :( its all looks pants again.

Spoke to a mate whos got a Samsung 32" HDTV that he uses as a monitor and he said he has similar issues but he seams to think its not a problem !

Well to me if it can't display black as actual black rather than greeny/purple haze its not up to the job and i'd like one that works or my money back

I've not yet rang them up, is it actually worth ringing them at this stage ?

Cheers

dood give Sarah a call. shes is proper helpful, take you details and NEC will get back to you. Its in their interests as a reputable monitor maker to not fuzz this up.

At the moment we're all told to hold tight and use the monitor as best as simply becaue i dont hink NEC know how bad the problem is. A faulty batch or ALL of the mointors using this panel in the same boat (product recall perhaps).... Anyway theres no use in them send you a replacement because you might get the same problem or worse.

My advise call them leave your details they'll be in touch no doubt.

H

Associate
hudson said:
dood give Sarah a call. shes is proper helpful, take you details and NEC will get back to you. Its in their interests as a reputable monitor maker to not fuzz this up.

At the moment we're all told to hold tight and use the monitor as best as simply becaue i dont hink NEC know how bad the problem is. A faulty batch or ALL of the mointors using this panel in the same boat (product recall perhaps).... Anyway theres no use in them send you a replacement because you might get the same problem or worse.

My advise call them leave your details they'll be in touch no doubt.

H

Excellent,

I'll nip home at lunch time and write down the serial number on the back and give Sarah a call.

I know it began with 621 and from reading from above posts , its appears to be problems with this batch.

Cheers :)
YP

Associate
Well I am building a new PC with this as the main monitor, previous was a Diamond Pro 930SB. Only done a quick test so far, but it appears to have a dead pixel just off the centre to the left, its more noticeable on black screens but annoying.
Overall screen quality is very good.
Will report when I have tested it more and decided what to do about the dead pixel. Wife thinks the monitor is sexy which is a good start, never says that about me anymore :D
Regards
Phil

Soldato
mine arrived today. Decided to get rid of my two 17" and get a widescreen. Will probably have another one within 6 months ;)

any way, seems great. Not sure about the reflective screen, but i'm sure i'll get used to it. No chance to game on it, as my x1900 is on RMA. But i'm fairly sure there's no backlight bleed on this one. Will have to wait until night time to properly check that though. Colours seem fine out of the box to be honest, though obviously i'll tweak when my 1900 gets back.

Shame about the lack of height adjustment - i will have to put mine on some books or something, as i think i need it raised a few inches to suit my desk/view.

Viewing angles are amazing, compared to my old viewsonic 171's, which i guess must have had a completely different kind of panel :)

Should i bother loading up the cd that came with it??

Edit: my serial number starts with 621. Is the problem with this batch only related to backlight bleed? I must admit, i do actually have a little bit in the top left (nowhere near as bad as others on here though, and by all accounts, it will be better in a few days any way!)...

Last edited:
Associate
My serial number starts 631, I am one of the first few that got an RMA from NEC direct, this unit is worse than the other one, the bleed isnt as bad, its still there bottom right, but not much anywhere else. Main problem with this one is the 10 stuck pixels, 4 blue, 1 red and 5 white. The bleed I could live with but no way can I live with it looking like a Christmas tree, hopefully my second replacement will have 0 dead pixels and no bleed at all.

Spoke to Sarah a couple of days ago myself, she was very helpfull and knew about this forum, great customer service if you ask me :D

Soldato
Cal_G said:
Spoke to Sarah a couple of days ago myself, she was very helpfull and knew about this forum, great customer service if you ask me :D

Good customer service is when your issues are sorted :D

Associate
snow patrol said:
Edit: my serial number starts with 621. Is the problem with this batch only related to backlight bleed? I must admit, i do actually have a little bit in the top left (nowhere near as bad as others on here though, and by all accounts, it will be better in a few days any way!)...

Same as my serial number. I had some backlight bleed in the lower left hand corner which has disappeared after a couple of days. I'm well chuffed!

Soldato
Barghest said:
Same as my serial number. I had some backlight bleed in the lower left hand corner which has disappeared after a couple of days. I'm well chuffed!

fingers crossed for me then. There's no way i'd rma it though, unless the problem got significantly worse.

I just wish ocuk would hurry up and send me back my 1900xtx because i can't wait to play some games on this puppy!

Associate
Does anyone know what the status is with NEC and OCUK in terms of a solution to the bleed problem with these?

I want to get one after owning a rubbish Dell 2005FPW. The bleed on that was so bad that it was noticeable with clear colours too in the lower left corner.
I had bleed almost all the way to the centre. I have a dark room and main use is gaming, video/photo editing and dvd's now and again. Hence the bleed was a real bummer for me. :(

I'm happy to spend good money on a monitor since it's something I look at everyday for long hours. I had a NEC LCD1760NX which proved very good for me. I got the Dell and I was gutted!

So, does OCUK know yet if their stock will be improved? Is it still luck of the draw?

I want to get one of these now! I have the cash burning a hole...ouch ouch... :)

Associate
loko the fact that nec are reluctant to replace the monitors on rma tells me the problem is wide spread and may require a product recall. IE They cant send you another one cuz it will more than likely be just as bad.

The advice i was given was stay put use the monitor as best u can, nec will resolve this.,

H

Associate
So do I hold on for the potential solution or take a chance and hold on to it if its a dodgy one until they recall or RMA, etc.

Common sense says hold on....widescreen fun says buy it!

I have to say, once you've tried panoramic view, you can't go back. 16:10 / 16:9 is so much easier on the eye.

What do you guys think?

Caporegime
I'm leaning towards the viewsonic now after all this fuss.

VX2025

Are there any issues with it?

or should I wait for NEC to decide what they are doing as this monitor seems to better when they are fault free :confused:

Back
Top Bottom