Win2003 Server & network shares

Associate
Hi guys,

I have a network share on my win2003 server box. Its called telephone recordings and its on C:\ drive.

On my XP home machine it brings up the Username and Password box whenever i try and access the server/shared folder. How can i enable the server to give access to anyone on the network no matter what the computer name or access level is.

Its not on the internet so security isnt at risk.

Ive tried to add 'Everyone' in the permissions but it still asks for a username and password.

Cheers guys!

Associate
OP
Really? That sucks :( All the computers on the network have random names lol.

Is it the computer name i need to add or the network name?

E.g, some log on as 'Sales12' but there network name is 'JohnSmith'

Which would i add?

Associate
OP
They are on a workgroup.

I have just enabled the Guest account and added 'Guest' to the permissions list and they seems to be able to access the folder fine... but is it safe to have it enabled if i give the server access to the net ?

Associate
I wouldn't use the guest account, instead create the same user on each machine (including the server), telerecordingsuser for example, ensure the passwords are all the same and then map a network drive from each client to the server.

Soldato
Anon access is off by default in 2003, and you *can* turn it back on in the security policy somewhere... but I cant recall where exactly.

Could publish it as a webfolder or something, as another option.

Back
Top Bottom