Orange - is an international text bundle available?

Soldato
I'm currently getting 150 texts as part of my tarrif but this doesn't include international texts. Does anyone know of a tarrif or bundle that does?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
FunkyT said:
I'm currently getting 150 texts as part of my tarrif but this doesn't include international texts. Does anyone know of a tarrif or bundle that does?

Thanks.

I dont think so mate but you can try international calling/texts for free! I think they give contract customers £5, I only got £3 due to being pay as you go. Sorry its not quite what you want but at least it gives you something free :)

Edit : Look at your post count :eek:

Man of Honour
I'm assuming you want to send texts to overseas numbers from the UK.

There is a bundle you can buy that will give you a better deal. You can buy calling abroad bundles which give you additional credit towards international calls and texts.

Basically it's 20% extra credit based on price, so the £10 bundle gives you £12 worth of international calls and texts.

There is no plan or straight text bundle that includes international texts though.

Associate
There is no international texting bundle at present. You can get international calling bundles that save you a percentage

Goto an Orange shop or call 150 for the Try calling abroad bundle

Aaron

Soldato
He can have £5 to try the abroad thing can't he though dolph, I think contract customers get more than the payg ones? I only got £3 but it was useful for ringing poland :)

Associate
alternatively you can do what I have done, which ends up costing you just 7p per text :)

It,s not quite as elegant as plain old texting, but certainly works.

This is what I have crafted.

You sign up with http://smsgeezer.com/ to get texts for about 5p each.

You then have to set up your mobile to be able to send e-mail via GPRS.

You set up your smsgeezer account to forward any replies to your phone as sms, and register your e-mail address that you will be sending e-mails from (from your mobile).

You have to include recipient number and your sms account details in the TO and TITLE fields of the message, then type your message in the TEXT space of the e-mail and send it. SMS geezer processes the TO and TITLE and sends the TEXT to the recipient as an sms.

A typycal e-mail over GPRS costs about 1.5 to 2p, plus the smsgeezer cost of about 5p per message which comes to about 7p, any replies get forwarded back to you as an normal sms.

It's not as elegant as plain sms, but when international texts cost 20p upwards, it makes sense!, oh, and depending on your network provider there may be no extra cost involved when using this system when travelling abroad, which makes it an even bigger saving... :)

Note, for GPRS e-mailing, your mail provider has to have SMTP which works with your mobile network provider. Look for free ones such as www.unlimitedmail.org which will work with anybody. :)

I can tell you how to save a fortune on international phone costs as well!. My costs using a mobile have gone from 40p/min to just 10.5p/min anytime!, and from landline, they have gone from 22p/min to just 0.5p/min, again anytime, with free calls to any landline in UK, America, France,Australia, New-zealand, Germany, Hong-Kong etc, big list!!!. :)

Just use www.voipcheap.co.uk and get yourself a Linksys SPA3000, and configure it to work with the voipcheap service, you can set it up to accept incoming calls to your land line (10p from mobile, yours may be more or less this), and re-direct them via VOIP, which depending on where you are calling to can be free or very cheap indeed.

Be warned, configuring the SPA3000 is a black art!, I lost a complete day to it!, there are over 500 parameters to change and this is certainly not for the faint hearted. There is NO user manual as such and you have to figure a lot of it out yourself or search forums. But this thing pays for it-self in just a few hours! :)

I hope some of this might help you out a bit and save some money as well, I've already saved over £500 in just two months, so it's definately worth looking at.

Last edited:
Associate
Be warned, you have to set up country specific ring tones etc first, since the box comes configured for the american phone system, and as for dialing plans !!!... But it is a very configurable device indeed.
Have a read here before you decide. http://voxilla.com/forum-viewforum-f-14.html

Oh, BTW, I'm with Virgin Mobile on pay as you go. they work out the cheapest for my needs which is mainly International.

Soldato
I was going to get the 'Try' package for calling from abroad as I'm going to Lanzarote, does anyone know if that's covered under Spain as it's Spanish networks out there?

Man of Honour
Chocki said:
according to my provider, there is no increase, but will check again, thanks for the warning.

On Orange GPRS charges definitely increase while roaming. However, I think I may have lost the plot on this thread (as there's two discussions going on).

If he's sending from the UK to overseas, GPRS will be charged at standard rates.

If he's sending to the uk from overseas, GPRS will be charged at the roaming rate.

As I said, think I lost the plot last night :)

I was going to get the 'Try' package for calling from abroad as I'm going to Lanzarote, does anyone know if that's covered under Spain as it's Spanish networks out there?

Yes it does :)

Back
Top Bottom