19" Acer AL1916W Widescreen Silver/Black

Soldato
Brilliant value for money, a few of my friends got one yesterday, we took a trip up to clockers from northants, and they is impressed, however we wasnt able to get a 7900GTX for my mates lad, in stock at 12pm, we got there at 3pm, all gone. Think he picked one up on e-buyer of all places. Go widescreen today !

Associate
I've just ordered one of these. Look like a really nice screen. I used to own a Dell 2005, and currently running a Dell 1905 (8ms) so I should be quite hard to please. Will let you guys know my thoughts next week.

Associate
hi.
anybody use the acer widescreen with an xbox360.
how good are colours using vga with this.
at the moment using a 19inch crt colours are a little washed out.
hoping they would be better using tft.
cheers ian.

Associate
Just installed mine from overclockers and have set it to the highest resolution 1440*900 but it is locked at 60 Hertz. Is this correct ?

Other than that its great monitor which has replaced my bulky 20" crt. :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
scoopex said:
Just installed mine from overclockers and have set it to the highest resolution 1440*900 but it is locked at 60 Hertz. Is this correct ?

Other than that its great monitor which has replaced my bulky 20" crt. :)

Yep, no point running TFT's on more than 60Hz as you will just be putting more stress on the Gfx card for no improvement.

Associate
a lot of you guys are saying you dont have light bleed. Has anyone used theirs in the dark with dark screen and finds it is similar to mine? I am finding mine a little annoying although dont know if its worth trying to get a replacement. :confused:

I like the monitor a lot but with certain games and some dark wallpapers I like to use show it up on both sides in a low-lit room.

DSCF0044sm.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Love mine

i just need a TFT Carrier so i can take it to lans safley

Anyone got any ideas where to get one ?

i know overclockers dont do them

is there anywhere that does them for widescreen 19" ?

Permabanned
Well, mine is being RMA'd!!!

Just had it today and the text on the right hand side of the screen is crisp but on the right hand side it is slightly thicker, darker and blurred looking!!

What is causing that? The res is 1440 x 900 and refresh is 60.

Can't understand it?

Caporegime
So whats the next monitor up from this people? Hopefully being LESS than £300, more less than £250 if poss :p Yet ace for games, with no blurring, tacky back light bleed stuff :p

Associate
Only other thing I've noticed, is that I am starting to see blue colour bleed from the bottom of the screen which appears after the screen has been on for a while. Only noticeable on dark backgrounds ie monolith screen when loading fear. I've decided to keep hold of this one because apart from the slight bleed on the sides and bottom which are very rarely noticeable its a fantastic screen. :D

The fact all the more serious defects like dead pixel's etc are not present, its not worth RMA'ing.

I could just be an extremely fussy ***

Soldato
Can anyone comment on what this monitor is like running at lower resolutions?

ie: I suspect on modern games I will not be able to run (smoothly) at the native resolution and will have to lower it. I'm wondering how badly this impacts on image quality. For example, there is no way I will be able to run Oblivion at the native resolution...

Associate
Im very tempted by this monitor as im on a tight budget but need a TFT. not fussy about lack of DVi.

I too am worried about running lower, non widescreen res games on this, im told that if you have a nvidia graphics card theres option in the forceware setting - that can reshape a resolution to fit the screen ( most prob stretch it out ) but im not too bothered- Like when you watch a 4:3 TV picture on a 16:9 TV i kinda prefer is stretched out rather than have the bars on the side.

PS My first post

Associate
Should I buy this instead of a Samsung SM913?

I use my PC for BF2 and pro evo 5... neither of which provide extra FOV in widescreen resolutions. I also use cubase and reason a fair bit so not sure if they might benefit from the extra width. How much less vertical height does it give you? Still bigger than a 17" TFT?

Soldato
sinister_stu said:
Should I buy this instead of a Samsung SM913?

I use my PC for BF2 and pro evo 5... neither of which provide extra FOV in widescreen resolutions. I also use cubase and reason a fair bit so not sure if they might benefit from the extra width. How much less vertical height does it give you? Still bigger than a 17" TFT?

A standard 17" TFT is 1280x1024... (as are most 19" 4:3 TFTs - eg: the samsung 913)

Associate
NeilFawcett said:
A standard 17" TFT is 1280x1024... (as are most 19" 4:3 TFTs - eg: the samsung 913)

Yeah... I know that... and also that a 19" widescreen is 1440x900... but that doesn't really answer my question. Thought someone would be able to save me doing the maths for myself and tell me roughly how much less height the 19" widescreen will have... I can see that it's 124 pixels smaller, but as the pixel is a variable size that's not much use.

Back
Top Bottom