NTL Wireless Problem

Associate
hi all
i have set up a wireless connection to a friends computer
it is a belkin 54g wireless router
the ntl cable modem feeds into the router, via an ethernet cable
the router feeds into the computers network card via another ethernet cable

this connection with the main computer (wired) is fine, and works OK

the laptop (wireless) detects a wireless signal (90%) off the router, however i cant set the laptop network card up to access the internet, i have gone into the network connection properties, attempted to enter several IP combinations and have tried the detect automatically settings.
i have tried messing with the firewall etc.
has anyone got any ideas or any ideas of some IPsettings which will work, im sure its something daft

PS i am on the same laptop now on my wireless network at home (BT line) netgear equipment
so the lappy does work

cheers

Associate
OP
michellez said:
Have you set any security up on the router at all for the wireless like WEP or WPA keys? If so you'll need set them up on the laptop before it'll get an IP and whatnot.

yes ive set up the security properly,
using it now on my security on my network
the issue is with the ntl-cable and the belkin router imo

Associate
If it is NTL cable... have you cloned the MAC address from your PC?

I assume you used to have your PC connected directly to NTL. Well, that PC has a MAC Address (goto Run... type in cmd for a DOS prompt. Then enter ipconfig /all to list details of your network cards. You are looking for "physical address" of your ethernet card)

There will be somewhere on that Belkin router where you can then enter this MAC address and then router will the pretend to NTL that it is the PC you orginally registered.

OR: try accessing the web page http://autoreg.autoregister.net as this is where NTL will send your conenction if it does not recognise your MAC address. As the new router has a different MAC address, this is what is probally happening to you. If you still have your original PID and password from when you signed up to NTL you can register this new router. But that inolves messing around with the registration page, then power cycling everything, and hoping that the NTL Registration system hasn't crashed again....

Clone your MAC address. It's the easiest way. ;)

Associate
OP
no but i cant try these things till i go round again, ill access this forum from there
i might have already mentioned
the cable modem, has the router plugged into it via ethernet, the router is plugged into the computer via ethernet.-this connection works

the router is whacking out wireless signal
the wireless laptop detects the wireless signal
but despite my efforts so far when IE is launched the pages won't load

Associate
So.... you are saying that the PC that is connected to the router can successfully surf the web? And your only problem is with the Wireless connection? If yes, you can ignore my previous post. You are connected to NTL fine. :)

If that is the case... then this could be a problem with the cheapo Belkin kit. Try disabling the Encryption on the WiFi. Does this then allow it to work? Will this then allow the laptop to connect to the Access Point and then load web pages from the Internet?

If things work without encryption, you may be finding a bug similar to one I experienced last month. A customer with Belkin kit. The laptop using a Belkin (or Netgear) PCMCIA card could not connect reliably using WPA-PSK. It would work fine with WEP (128-bit) and no Encryption.

Maybe there is newer firmware for the Belkin Router? I never checked this....

And instead of testing with IE, use the DOS Prompt.

From the Run... prompt, type in cmd to being up DOS.
type ipconfig /all to see if you are getting an IP Address from the router.
Look for the "gateway" address (the same address as the Belkin config page is on) and try pinging this. ping 192.168.1.1 and this will tell you if your laptop can "see" the router.
Try pinging a website like the Beeb. ping 212.58.224.113 will confirm that you have a TCP/IP Connection out to the Internet. And ping www.bbc.co.uk would confirm that you have a valid DNS lookup.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I had belkin on my ntl cable and had problems from day 1, changed it for linksys and not a single problem with the wifi, just a heads up!

Associate
I had that exact same problem with my belkin router. Try opening your web browser and entering th routers ip, ("192.168.2.1" is the default). Chances are it will display the setup page meaning it is all connected up alright. From the menu try selecting the reset option. This might kick start it into working. I'm not sure why but belkin routers just seem a bit fussy at times. Once it gets going thought it should be fine.

Also as people said previously give "ipconfig /all" a whiz

Default gateway should be 192.168.2.1
IP address should be 192.169.2.xxx (xxx being whatever digits were assigned to your machine).

As far as the mac address filtering feature is concerned this is turned off by default. Its simply a security feature, that when enabled only allowed specific computers to access your router.

Back
Top Bottom