• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Convince me to get that fancy AGP 7800GT

Soldato
I almost pressed buy first thing this morning, however I friend who recently brough a 7800GS 256Mb warned that I'm not going to see 60 pounds worth of improvement over the GS 256Mb model.

Specs are:

P4 3.2Ghz (800Mhz bus)
9800XT
2 Gig Ram
Antec Trueblue 480 watt

Anyone got any unbiased advice either way that its really worth the extra money?

Soldato
It would be an amazing improvement over the 9800XT.

But you could get a far better card and pci-e motherboard for less money (X1800XT)

All boils down to if you can be bothered to muck about installing all your stuff again, lots of time and hastle. Compared to just slapping it in and getting instant gaming pleasure.

But its certainly worth the money, as even a PCI-e 7800GT 512MB isn't much cheaper, so its not a ripoff.

There's maybe a 7900GT 512MB AGP card coming out at the end of April, but that will be £400ish, not a good buy.

Last edited:
Soldato
You shouldn't let that govern your decision. I suggest you look at some benchmarks comparing a 7800GT and a X1800XT, that might influence you more. ANyway, it would be throwing it all out, would just be the motherboard - you can keep the rest.

Soldato
OP
Lanz said:
You shouldn't let that govern your decision. I suggest you look at some benchmarks comparing a 7800GT and a X1800XT, that might influence you more. ANyway, it would be throwing it all out, would just be the motherboard - you can keep the rest.

Would it not be the motherboard and processor? I have a socket 478 P4 not one of those LGA jobbies.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

The Gainward is a huge improvement over any other AGP cards available due to its 20 pipeline core and 512MB GDDR3 memory. :)

Soldato
Get a PCI-E Socket 478 mobo (there are a couple) and a PCI-E graphics card. That way when you decide to upgrade the CPU etc. you don't have to ditch the graphics card.

Soldato
SiD the Turtle said:
Would it not be the motherboard and processor? I have a socket 478 P4 not one of those LGA jobbies.

You can get S478 PCI-e motherboards...

edit: typo

Last edited:
Soldato
if he gets a s478 pci-e motherboard then when he wants a better cpu surely hes gunna need to switch mobos yet again :(

theres people scoring 8k in 3dmark05 with those 20 pipe 7800s wich will be a huge improvement over the 9800

Soldato
He doesnt need a better cpu yet, but he needs a better card. You can get a PCIe mobo + X1800XT for about £240 (this is what Im probably going to do), thats £40 cheaper than a AGP 7800GT and its much faster.

He can then also keep this X1800XT for when he finally does get a new CPU/motherboard/ram, where as the AGP card would have to be sold.

Not saying theres anything wrong with this AGP card, its great, but you can get more performance from your money if you can be bothered with a new install. (which I know some people cant)

Last edited:
Soldato
At the most you'd need a 20pin to 24pin motherboard connector and a pci-e to molex connector (which u probably get with the card) cost about £5 in total.

Soldato
I'm thinking of getting the Gainward 7800 AGP also, I have a Gigabyte 6800GT at the mo which performs very well & I guess I could easily sell to part finance the new card but the expence of new mobo etc. is not worth it to upgrade to PCI at present

Has anyone upped to the Gainward from a 6800GT ? whats the difference in visuals as well as FPS ?

Back
Top Bottom