file server

Associate
i have a few file servers set up at work and im just wondering is there anyway to share the files using a webpage im fine using it as it is using domain controllers and various other tools my users just find it hard to naviagte thru the servers looking for there files

so the question is :

is it possible to share the files but using a webpage with links to the files on the various servers for example generating a webpage from the various shared folders and h/d's

Associate
Yep, a php page placed in the directory you wish to share.

The folder must be available on the internet.
The folder needn't have directory listing on, but must have read access to everyone.
PHP obviously needed on webserver.

Try Here. (Zipped .php file)

It is NOT my work.

copyright @ 2005 Gabriel Dunne
[email protected]

Hope this helps,
Alex

Associate
Have a look at Sharepoint comes that with Windows Server 2003 R2.

We are in the process of moving all our projects onto it and it is working very well, users can access all documents internally or externally.

Associate
So what your saying is your users can't navigate through my computer.

What i'd personally do for security more than anything is create shortcuts on the desktop or in a folder on the desktop.
Depending how you run your system you could manually stick them in profiles if you run roaming profiles, Or via login script (or workstation based script) copying shortcuts from a hidden share on the server.

Your web page idea would work fine all you need do is slap a HTML page or whatever with hyperlinks to folder locations in it and slap that in a global share (read access to all users on domain). Then you'd add a shortcut to that or group domain policy it into favourites or default search or homepage or something that they wont have to think to find.

It could be a lot of work though. And it would mean all users can access all documents unless you added some form of security or made several pages with accesss rights dependant on security group.

Back
Top Bottom