I have to remove boinc from 54 pc's

Associate
:eek:

:(

As from next week I will have to start removing boinc from 54 p4 1.8 pc's.
And Install it on 55 New p4 2.8 HT :D That I ordered today. :D

Yeah baby.....

Associate
OP
BillytheImpaler said:
:eek:

You had me going there for a minute. Congratulations, sah. Any particular reason to remove it from the old ones? If'twere me I'd leave it on all of them and hope for the best for the 1.8s. ;)

I will leave it on the ones that i re-distribute out,, however some are going on a diff network which does not have access to internet etc. and seeing as no such thing as setiQ for boinc, i'll be down 20 / 30 of the 1.8ghz p4's.

But should still be able to keep at least 20 crunching possibly more,,,

And if i'd of just said, i'm getting more crunchers, it wouldn't of had the same effect. :p

I have to keep back at least 20, to use as spares for one of the IT rooms.

Associate
You talk about machines that will be no-net, but will you have access to them, either over a network or via SSH or something? Because there are projects out there that are still sneakernet and offline crunching friendly and it'd be a pity to waste all those idle cycles.

Soldato
Biggles 266 said:
You talk about machines that will be no-net, but will you have access to them, either over a network or via SSH or something? Because there are projects out there that are still sneakernet and offline crunching friendly and it'd be a pity to waste all those idle cycles.

sneakernetting with BOINC is a right royal pita though and to do it for 20 P4 boxen would take upwards of an hour a day, every day and I don't think any of us could expect bully to do that could we?

OK we could, bully you're a slacker ;)

nice new boxes though...

HT

Associate
OP
MajorPart said:
Why are none of these folding :D

The only thing folding in my life is, the napkin before dinner. :p

I may one day get into folding, I may not..

If I went into folding, I would need to plan it, to make sure I knew what was involved, how long it would take and how much longer the project is likely to last for. I'd hate to start getting into it with only 6 months left on the life cycle. It takes a lot of my spare time, at the end of the day, to run round making sure pc's are not switched OFF.

To make sure everything is tickey boo. I've invested a lot into boinc now. So will see how that pans...

Associate
happytechie said:
sneakernetting with BOINC is a right royal pita though and to do it for 20 P4 boxen would take upwards of an hour a day, every day and I don't think any of us could expect bully to do that could we?

OK we could, bully you're a slacker ;)

nice new boxes though...

HT

Wasn't meaning BOINC. I meant something a bit simpler, like DPAD or a sieving project like RieselSieve, PSP or SOB sieving. D.net works with sneakernetting, and you could with D2OL, although I think the latest update prevented against that. I understand that Bulldog would likely rather run BOINC, but if it were me, I'd take up another project to prevent against wasting all those idle cycles.

MajorPart said:
Why are none of these folding :D

Because Folding is beginning to get on our ****? :p

On a more serious note, I don't like Folding for borgs as to get good scores you really need to enable big yin's, and they take up too much memory IMO. Too many folk complain about the lack of responsiveness.

Associate
OP
I dont have the time to do anything else to be honest. It took me nearly 3 hours walking around the site, opening every door and making sure the pc's were left on over the easter weekend so they can all get their AV, and MS patch updates etc.

I don't love anything enough to spend that sort of time everyday, logging into machines to transfer data etc etc.. Things are ok as they are for now. If I push the bubble any more it will pop...

Associate
They let you leave all the machine on all holiday. :eek:

I'm lucky if i get two days to leave machines on to update. In fact i didnt get any time this hol because they want to cut down on costs. The boss don't seem to understand that it will cost them more in my time to sort things out if they go wrong because of a virus.

Associate
OP
Whitestar said:
They let you leave all the machine on all holiday. :eek:

I'm lucky if i get two days to leave machines on to update. In fact i didnt get any time this hol because they want to cut down on costs. The boss don't seem to understand that it will cost them more in my time to sort things out if they go wrong because of a virus.

Well it does help that I am the boss.

And We do our updates every night.

One thing for you to think about.

Depending on your bios type / revision it might be possible to make the pc's start up at say, 9pm and shut down at 5am. You could think about using wake on lan too.

We were thinking about it. That way if it works you can squeeze out some extra time for your updates.

Associate
Bulldog66 said:
Well it does help that I am the boss.

And We do our updates every night.

One thing for you to think about.

Depending on your bios type / revision it might be possible to make the pc's start up at say, 9pm and shut down at 5am. You could think about using wake on lan too.

We were thinking about it. That way if it works you can squeeze out some extra time for your updates.

Yeah, we do AV updates daily in the morning and windows updates in the holidays unless there is a critcal patch which is done asap.

I had thought about wol, but the guy before me has turned it off on nearly all of the machines. and with just over 300 machines, that a lot of time ive got to spend turning wol back on and in most cases resetting the bios itself.

Back
Top Bottom