paying for things online

Associate
Hey guys,

Hope this is allowed on the forum, if not, apologies!

Basically, I have set up a website for my sisters new embroidery company (pretty small, run from home), and she wants people to be able to make orders and pay for stuff online, using credit cards etc. So, I'm after something that enables you to do that on the website.

I'm thinking along the lines of paypal, but if anyone has any better suggestions, they'd be much appreciated!

Cheers!

Associate
Should be in the H, G & P forum, but hey..

Oscommerce(.com) is a good online free shop which offers Paypal as a payment processor already installed :)

Soldato
mleh said:
Should be in the H, G & P forum, but hey..

Oscommerce(.com) is a good online free shop which offers Paypal as a payment processor already installed :)

Agreed, osCommerce is very nice. Also has the ability to allow people to pay through 2Checkout etc.

Man of Honour
Nope - the only thing Oscommerce requires (apart from PHP and MySQL, which everyone should have) which might give a nasty error at the start is PHP's register_globals.

If you get a Nasty Error trying to access your Oscommerce install then create a file in Windows and call it whatever you like. Like fix.txt. Open it in Notepad and write this:

php_flag register_globals On

Then save the file and upload it to the same directory as your Oscommerce install,and rename it to '.htaccess' (your FTP program should let you rename files.)

Associate
OP
it says in the setup file to:

"Using phpMyAdmin or another tool, create your database and user, and assign that user
to the database. Write down the name of the database, username, and password for this
database for the database installation procedure."

Can someone explain this to me please, as like i said, im a novice, and looks a bit complicated to me! Thanks, and sorry for my stupidity!

Soldato
Hi,

Your webhost should have something like cPanel or Plesk. Login to that.

From there go to the MySQL section, somewhere on that page you should see a box for a database name. Enter the database name.

Now the database name, depending on software, OS etc. used will either be just what you entered or could be yourusername_databasename.

When you're setting up osCommerce it'll ask for your MySQL username, password, database, mysql host, and maybe the port. Leave the host as localhost and the port as default. Enter your account username and password in (the one you use to login etc.) and the database name (see above for name 'types').

Note, you do not need to make a user/pass for the database, you can just use your default username and password.

Craig.

Soldato
retrac2k said:
damn it, just read on my hosting providers site that they don't support PHP or MySQL... could be a problem! lol

I sure do hope you're not paying!?
Even the free hosting me and a friend run together has PHP and MySQL & that's free!

Soldato
Don't forget, you'll need some kind of certificate service. There's no way people will put in cc numbers on an unsecured page.

Man of Honour
Triad2000 said:
Don't forget, you'll need some kind of certificate service. There's no way people will put in cc numbers on an unsecured page.
If using the standard Paypal setup then cc etc is handled on Paypal's site.

However account creation is handled on the actual Oscommerce site, and people often prefer to see the ickle padlock as much as possible on eCommerce sites, so yes, very good idea :)

Associate
OP
Beansprout said:
Harhar :D

What kind of monkeys are you with? :D

using a company called 123-reg - they were cheap, and not knowing much about hosting and all that, just went with a cheap one! Hmmm, i foresee this as a problem then! Any suggestions whilst i try not to look so stupid?! :(

Back
Top Bottom