Dog acting strangely

Soldato
Hi there, now before i get started can i just say our dog is very old and we fear the end may be near, so please i know the clever thing would be to go to the Vets, but we dont want her pumped full of drugs just to elongate her life for a week. Plus the nearest Vets is 30 miles away and we dont know what the car trip would do to her.

Just recently she has lost a bit of weight and seems to throw up more often, also funnily enough today she is constantly walking around and drinking loads of water, but is still eating all her food fine. And sometimes while lying down her legs are shivering.

Does anyone have any tips to make her more comfortable or give us an idea whats troubling her?

Thanks

Permabanned
If she's drinking loads it could be kidney problems. The shaking could be a sign of a stroke. I'm no vet, but our much loved and still missed labrador had these simptoms. Please take her to the vet as I'm sure that you wouldn't want her to suffer.

Thoughts go with you.

Soldato
OP
Phnom_Penh said:
It's possible that she's drinking too much water, causing her to throw up.

Yes we wondered if perhaps her brain was sending her funny signals, i.e to keep drinking.

Thanks for all comments.

Soldato
Surely the best option would be to let a professional look at here asap. She could well be in a lot of discomfort right now...it isn't easy for dogs to let us know!

Do the 'clever' thing, right away. If they offer to give her drugs to ease the pain...the choice is then yours.

An idea of what she may have done is swallow something. Could be stuck in her throat/stomach, i expect that would cause her to want to drink lots and also cause upset in the stomach = being sick. Dogs dont have the luxery of telling us what's wrong!...but a vet could diagnose that.

Do vets do home visits if you explain that you dont think a car drive would do her any good?

Nix

Nix

Soldato
masterk said:
Hi there, now before i get started can i just say our dog is very old and we fear the end may be near, so please i know the clever thing would be to go to the Vets, but we dont want her pumped full of drugs just to elongate her life for a week. Plus the nearest Vets is 30 miles away and we dont know what the car trip would do to her.

Just recently she has lost a bit of weight and seems to throw up more often, also funnily enough today she is constantly walking around and drinking loads of water, but is still eating all her food fine. And sometimes while lying down her legs are shivering.

Does anyone have any tips to make her more comfortable or give us an idea whats troubling her?

Thanks

It sounds very similar to my dog and he's 16 years young.

The leg thing - just try massaging them and it'll help.
My dog's lost a bit of weight but puts it on again, it's hit and miss.
As for the throwing up, we found it's probably due to eating rich food so try and watch what you're feeding her.

I hope she's okay. Just make sure you give her lots of attention, you never know when you wont be able to :)

Associate
Hiya's

Sorry to hear the problems your having. I think most vets will do home visits as similar to human doctors giving symptoms and expecting medicine doesn't happen anymore. Obviously its going to cost more.

Vets are always expensive - I've got pet insurance now (not cheap but gives me peace of mind).

Good luck.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Just thinking, a vet would probably suggest that she's pumped with steriods to make her stronger. They did it for my dog a while back and it made him really fat lol.

Soldato
My dog is 8 years old and he's not been well for a few days.

He's not eaten since Sunday, shaking loads and very weak. We took him to the vets today and he had two injections, one to stop him from throwing up and what the other one was I forgot.

He has to go back tomorrow. If he doesn't get better soon he'll have to go on a drip :(

The vet said she just had another dog in with the same symptoms but it was from a different area not too far away.

He threw up a massive pool of brown/black stuff which covered quite a bit of the kitchen lino :(

Hope he gets well soon :(

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys these replies are great, she seems to be acting especially weird today. Constantly walking around the house over and over, its almost like a behavioural thing, does anyone know what could cause a dog to do this? Restlessness? Looking for a mate or something?

Nix

Nix

Soldato
masterk said:
Thanks guys these replies are great, she seems to be acting especially weird today. Constantly walking around the house over and over, its almost like a behavioural thing, does anyone know what could cause a dog to do this? Restlessness? Looking for a mate or something?

My dog will bark at nothing in the back garden for ages before coming in. It's probably doggy dementia. My dog half forgot who I was when I went home over christmas, I spent a couple of hours just petting him and he seemed to just remember after that :)

Soldato
masterk said:
Yes we wondered if perhaps her brain was sending her funny signals, i.e to keep drinking.

Its been known to happen to dogs as well as humans.

My thoughts are with you mate.

Soldato
OP
I thought i should let you know, we took her down the Vets this morning, her legs started giving way and she seemed to be having trouble knowing where she was going.

The Vet thought it could be Diabetes or Kidney Failure, but the Vet thought it was probably Kidney Failure, it was only fair to have her put to sleep, my parents made the decision.

She is back home now and going to be buried in the garden this afternoon. She was nearly 12 years old.

Many thanks to all of you for your kind help and replies.

dod

dod

Soldato
Ah no mate, we lost our youngish lab a couple of months ago to kidney failure, it's horrible at the time but there's no doubt you've done the right thing, you can't let them suffer. RIP doggy :(

Soldato
yermum said:
If she's drinking loads it could be kidney problems. The shaking could be a sign of a stroke. I'm no vet, but our much loved and still missed labrador had these simptoms. Please take her to the vet as I'm sure that you wouldn't want her to suffer.

Thoughts go with you.

I would echo this mans sentiments and suggestions. I too had a lab with these symptons, sadly at new year she died of suspected liver failure :(.

My thoughts too are with you and your dog. Sorry for the loss dude :(.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom