New Machine

Associate
How well would this system crunch?
till.jpg

It's an all-round machine i.e. needs to play games, do office stuff, encode a lot of audio and video and of course crunch in it's spare time.

Man of Honour
Soldato
It'd be very nice. I think the pros in the hardware forum would reccomend you use the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 CPU cooler but I don't know personally if yours there is better than the Freezer.

I take it you intend to overclock? The 3800+ is one of the best clockers out there.

Associate
OP
Damn straight. I want at least 2.4 ghz out of it ;)

Oddly the cpu cooler was the one bit I wasn't sure about.

I chose the one I did cause it's a 120mm fan as opposed to the 92mm on Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler and the Zalman CNPS9500-LED Aero Flower which were the other two I was looking at.

Theoretically a 120 can shift more air and remain quiter than a 92 but I have no idea which heatsink is better so thats irrelevant.

Soldato
wow that's not a bad price for the spec

think i'd be tempted to go for some cheaper RAM but get 2x1GB instead - the A64s are meant to be able to run the ram on a divider without losing the performance like with the SocketA kit

apart from that it's mighty tempting for me too :D

Associate
rich99million said:
wow that's not a bad price for the spec

think i'd be tempted to go for some cheaper RAM but get 2x1GB instead - the A64s are meant to be able to run the ram on a divider without losing the performance like with the SocketA kit

apart from that it's mighty tempting for me too :D

Good point rich, the Geil Value 2x1gig will be plenty good enough.

Associate
OP
I thought that was quite a reasonable price the 3800 is cheaper here than anywhere else.

I was originally planning on running a divider but there should be a performance boost surely if the memory is running faster too.

Theres deliberatly only 1gb atm there two more slots on the board which will be filled later with at least 2 x 1GB perhaps more depending on what memory is available at what price.

Oh and that price includes the delivery too.

Associate
OP
She's deffinatly gonna be a folder.

This machine is for a friend he doesn't play many games that will gain any advantage in having more than a GB of RAM atm hence the upgrade later plan.

Oh and I thought faster and tighter RAM might be nice for Photoshop as well as the dual cores.

Soldato
ahh fair enough - yeah the tighter timings and higher bus speed will definately make a difference to the WUs which like lots of ram bandwidth

i was just worried that two clients folding large WUs along with a fairly demanding game and windows might be asking a bit much of 1GB, if the games aren't gonna be so much of an issue then that's not to worry about :)

Associate
OP
Well the only thing I'm not entirely decided about is the CPU cooler I guess.

I think it makes little difference as the board is going to me mounted flat with two 120's blowing across it, and two 120's exhausting out the back.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
BillytheImpaler said:
Bigstan loves both his Freezer 7 and Freezer 64s enough to give them a big offshore hug. It's true.

I do like the freezers although I have recently started using SI120s fitted with Akasa Amber fans. They seem to be about on a par with the freezers, cooling-wise but considerably quieter to run :)

Stan :)

Associate
OP
The new SI 120's are very nice.

The only reason I'm not getting one is cause of the way the air is flowing - from front to back, the upright heatsink will be more practical.

I love the Amber 120's :D 1 on the CPU heatsink and probably 2 at the front and 2 at the back of the case.

Associate
According to custompc the EVO 120 is pretty rubbish, its very quiet, not a very good cooler, overpriced. Go for a scythe ninja or an freezer 64 pro.
The rest of the rig wil be bottlenecked if you play games with that 7300GS

Should be a good cruncher though.

Soldato
I would go for a cheaper motherboard, the Ultra-D would be fine for clocking to a decent speed. This is of-course if you don't want/need SLI functionality.

Like people have said, 2gb of Geil RAM would net you more ppd than 1gb of faster RAM.

Try and get a better graphics card second hand somewhere for a similar price, the 7300 won't perform too well in games. Try and get a 6600GT or something like that.

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro is very good for the price, although you could get anything really, look for reviews though before buying something that's silly cheap.

Back
Top Bottom