Firefly / Serenity

Man of Honour
well rented serenity a coupld of weeks ago and found it to be a decent enough film although I had never seen firefly the film moved along swiftly and river kicked some serious behind. so all in all pretty pleased with a quite decent film.

anyway move on 2 weeks and I have bought the series that pre dates the film Firefly. Have watched around the first 5-6 episodes so far and am enhoying it greatly.

In a socisety bereft of decent TV at present I was quite surprised to find that this show was cancelled, as much like the late great SAAB it is pretty much great entertaining TV.

just wondering if anyone else has watched it and how they found it ?

Soldato
I got suckered into watching Firefly and after the second episode i was hooked. It was a fantastic series in my opinion. This was right before Serenity came out, and i loved that too. (Didn't it get voted film of the year on Film 200x? :p)

As i understand it Fox essentially trashed Firefly, advertising it as something it wasnt, showing episodes well out of order (they didnt even show the pilot first!) - basically they screwed Whedon over. Which is a great shame.

Man of Honour
Housemate religously watched it, then I watched the first two episodes and I was hooked! It's really annoying that it got cancelled before they even showed all of the first series on TV, but Serenity did very well as a big film I thought to keep the whole Firefly spirit alive.

Man of Honour
OP
weel wasnt it solely based on the cult following that whedon managed to get the money together for the film ?

if true then i guess another film / series would be possible and great to see if it happened.

Soldato
Yeah something like that if it wasnt for the success of the firefly and cut fans and DVD sales, Serenity wouldnt have happen....

And Since Serenity didnt do so well either its up to the DVD sales/fans again.... sure the DVD sales will count more!

Joss originaly wanted to do 3 spin off films or continue the series so see what happens next if anything.

Just like babylon5 the DVD sales have shown theres money to be made but since the last few pilots/films flopped even crusade there still skeptical.

Things will get interesting shame Joss is busy doing wonderwoman the Spike film should have been top of list!

Soldato
I remember the days when films were on video. You had to wait almost a year for a film to come out to even rent on video. These days, they're pretty much on DVD format to rent in a few months after they've had the cinema run.

Sometimes I think that films are unfairly labelled as being a flop. On many occasions, this is probably due to people ripping the film off the Internet whilst it's in the cinema, or waiting for it to come out on DVD to copy/buy, etc, rather than paying money to go and see it in the cinema.

There also are, however, very bad films being made. I can't remember a decent film I've seen recently, or indeed, any films i've wanted to see.

Associate
i agree wit the previous posts, watched the film, got the series and was really saddened when i seen the last ep knowing that it was over, no more to see, really enjoyable series one of the best sci fi in my opinion.

just like saab a truely great series that should never have been canceled

Last edited:
Soldato
I nearly cried at the end of firefly, probably due to watching them all in one go and lack of sleep but that doesnt matter!

-APPARENTLY- there are 2 more films being made, and someone bought the rights off FOX for firefly and might be remaking /carrying it on. It's been shown on TV after a period of time too?

IIRC. :/

Last edited:
Soldato
Psypher5 said:
I nearly cried at the end of firefly, probably due to watching them all in one go and lack of sleep but that doesnt matter!

-APPARENTLY- there are 2 more films being made, and someone bought the rights off FOX for firefly and might be remaking /carrying it on. It's been shown on TV after a period of time too?

IIRC. :/

Ok I got mixed up with the sci-fi channel re-licencing the exsisting shows, fox won't sell the rights.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds30578.html:
Additional primetime offerings will include the space-operas Crusade (a Babylon 5 offshoot from Warner Bros) and Firefly, from Buffy: The Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon. Re-licensed from Twentieth Century Fox, Firefly is also the forerunner to Whedon's 2005 movie Serenity.

And the films?:

How many films are you signed for?
It is a three-picture deal at Universal and I think it's going to be about how the first one performs to see how the other two do

Also a few bits on a second series:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:3c13kSqOYdsJ:www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php%3Fcategory%3D0%26id%3D34383+firefly+fox+sell+rights&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=10

http://www.fireflyseason2.com/index.asp

*Thanks to Ja :) for the info"

~Psy

Associate
Really hope that there is anouther series, i enjoyed it a lot! Same view seems to be of anyone whos watched it.. which is why its so crazy they didnt make anymore episodes >.<

And imo the film wasnt nearly as good as the tv series.

Associate
another ff fan here i bought it and watched it before the film was released on dvd which i then also bought and watched, great series and film, fingers crossed for the next two films

Soldato
I was underwhelmed by the series, in fact i only watched 3 episodes as i thought it was bobins.

Serenity however, was better.

Back
Top Bottom