MK1/2 Golf for my first car?

Associate
I'm 21 (student) and finally have enough cash to buy myself my first car (Not counting the opel kadett that took me around Africa for 7 months). My older brother got a nice steady 1 year old corse which he is happy with but it just doesn't appeal to me. I've always wanted a Mk1 Esocrt but they are a little out of my price range :eek:. I also love the looks of the classic style golf. eg.

I don't really know that much about cars so was hoping you lot could give me a little bit of direction or point out any errors in my ways. :)

So basically how suited would this be for for me as a first car?

and a few extra questions buzzing around my head.
Whats the difference between the mk1 and mk2 golf?

Why do some have 2 and some 4 head lights?

Is it going to be possible for me to get insurance on this as my first car without it being stupidly high?

What engine size should i be looking at getting?

Is it going to be particularly expensive to run per mile and cost of maintenance?

Would i have to buy a normal one and do a bit of work on it like changing the bumpers to get that classic style?

I'm a very hands on person and would love to do a bit of work on it myself but is a car of this age going to be to much work for me?

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I'm guessing they wouldn't have power steering? Which helps a lot when doing manouvers the 'propper way'. (And I find them hideous :p)

Soldato
Pho said:
I'm guessing they wouldn't have power steering? Which helps a lot when doing manouvers the 'propper way'. (And I find them hideous :p)
Helps you steer without moving more like! Just move slowly and steer quickly, no PAS isnt much of a biggy.

Im sure penski will be along shortly to corrupt/help you know some more about old sheds on wheels. ;)

Soldato
I learnt to drive in a mk2 Golf :cool:
It was great, though if you own one and aren't mechanically minded at all (like me!) then you should probably find someone who is :D

Man of Honour
As long as the shell itself isn't terminally rotten, there isn't far wrong to go with a Golf Mk1 or 2 (that's coming from someone who doesn't like them very much)

Parts costs I found extremely reasonable from GSF, even main dealer parts on the whole aren't too extortionate. Expect things to wear out though, it is a relatively old car. Aside from normal things (exhaust, brakes, tyres) likely components to wear out will be CV joints, balljoints, track rod ends and topmounts - mostly suspension & steering. None of this is very expensive or mid bogglingly difficult to change. I think having an older car is a great idea for young (or old!) drivers as it teaches you how things work and how to repair them. I've always had old cars and it really has given me a fair bit of knowledge on basic mechanical stuff that I would have been clueless about had I bought a brand new Corsa or whatever!

Some have 2 lamps, some have 4 - generally most GTI's had 4, as did Drivers etc. Depends on what setup option was ticked when it was new. It's quite easy to swap between 2 and 4 lamp setups (and relatively cheap too - the grill holds the extra lights so that's all that's needed)

The 1.1 needs thrashing but it still doesn't go too badly. I'd opt for a 1.3 or 1.6 though to be honest as unless you're a rev-head you will eventually tire of wringing every last drop of speed from the 1.1.

All Mk 1 Golfs came with small black bumpers except for the early chrome type. With Mk 2 Golfs you got the big bumper models later on, so unless you go for a relatively new one that will have small black plastic bumpers too. From memory, a new pair of bumpers (small) is only about £45 from GSF, a grille is around £15 and you can get a full replacement GTI arch extension set very reasonably as well - takes years off the car and is far more effective than trying to tart up faded old trim.

This is my mate's Mk1 - his first car when he passed his test in about 1999. It was a 1.1 in Pagas Blue (yuch) that was given to him by his grandad. Over time, he got the interior and body to GTI spec, eventually fitting a 1.8 16V engine from a Mk2 and having a full respray in Helios Blue.

GarethMk1.jpg

Man of Honour
I do have a love for the mk1 gti... The only thing I've ever bad about them is the rust, and generally rotten and falling to pieces. However if you get one that isn't in that state they are fab little cars. A bit retro if you like that, I think a mk1 golf is able to pull it off nicely.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
penski said:
For a 1.6 in a small, lightweight car, it is a surprisignly torquey engine. Good fun.

*n

Having driven one a fair amount, i couldnt disagree more, i found it so slow that you get to a stage where you are flooring it while shouting at it for being so rubbish. Maybe i am going wrong by comparing it to decent cars.

Each to their own. :)

Soldato
Considering the Mk1's are 25 years old, they hold up very well. The garage I took mine too have said they've never had to do any bodywork on a Mk1 to get it through an MOT.

Compare this to many other cars which start to fall apart after 10 years...they're damn well built.

Soldato
I had a 1.3 MK2 golf for my 1st car, 1990 'G' plate just over 5 years ago. Not bad little cars, reliable, and the 1.6 will certainly have enough grunt for a 1st car. Ok, it's not an MR2 Turbo, but it'll do the job - A-b and back to A with minimal fuss and not in an unpleasant manner.

Back
Top Bottom