19" Acer AL1916W Widescreen Silver/Black

Permabanned
Bad luck on the Acer! I had to RMA one too as it had perfect text on the left hand side of the screen but blurry text on the right hand side!! Strange!!

Soldato
right heres some pictures. sorry about the quality but i had to use a k750i for them

basically its white/grey marks everywhere, kinda looks like im running some sort of space themed background(stars) untill i open any windows etc :o

wouldnt be fussed if it had a couple of dead pixels but these marks are all over it and unignorable, its supposed to be a new monitor :(

dont have much knowledge about tfts but i dont think theyre dead pixels anyway

super pc : did you contact acer direct ? will they send one out and pick this one up ? bit of a nightmare if i have to take it to parcel force.

didnt look like a refurb as far as i could tell , selaed box , sealed plactic wrappings etc.

i realise these monitors are still great and will definetly stick with them , it looks great etc and is huge improvement over my 15"tft, **** happens its just a shame it usually happens to me :p

Last edited:
Permabanned
The Acer is usually a problem free TFT. I was unlucky with mine. Not heard about many problems with them. It can happen to any TFT manufacturer.

I sent mine back to where i bought it for a refund. I only had it a day!! Remember, you may get a refurbished TFT in place of the one you send back for exchange if sent to the manufacturer. I would send it back to the shop from where you bought it. Just quote the 7 day long distance law. You have every right to get your money back!

Soldato
sending it back to ocuk will require me to post it so if acer are willing to do a drop off and collect like many companys do ill go with them .

will ring both places in the morning and see what happens

Permabanned
Thing is, Overclockers should pay you the postage back as it is a faulty item you are sending back! Also, you will probably get a refurbished TFT off Acer!! 2nd hand in other words!!

Associate
andy8271,

I had a simlar problem with one of my Acer TFTs (white dot syndrome) but had MAJOR problems with Acer support over it (mainly because of their incompetence and the fact that they sent it to the 'wrong' repair centre and it took over a month to resolve (I think I was unlucky...).

I called Acer the following day after receiving the item from an e-tailor and said that I had 20+ dead pixels on my TFT. The guy promised to send City Link to collect on a priority basis as it can be classed as DOA. They never came. I called Acer the next day then someone else arranged to pick it up. They paid the P+P and promised a 4 business day turnaround.

Anyway, 6 days passed and no news so I called up Acer, only to find out that they had lost my TFT. Another 5 days later I called Acer and they said they found it (it had been sent to the 'wrong' repair centre). They had now sent it to the correct place...

Midway through this fiasco some dumbass lady had to recreate me a new case ID as the item had to be sent to the correct centre. I later found out that she didn't put on the original problems that I had initially described (20+ dead pixels). Instead she put on the case ID 'power issue - DOA'.

I called Acer again only to find out that no one had been working on fixing my TFT. By this point I blew my top and had a right go at the support person and insisted she chase it up right that moment. She did, and called me back telling me it'd be another 6 days before I'll get the item back.

12 days later I received the item in a battered box and get this...IT WAS IN THE SAME CONDITION!!!!! :eek: The invoice stated 'No power issues found'! There was never any power issues! I was absolutely LIVID!

I called up Acer again, DEMANDED that they get me a brand new, non-refurb Acer within 4 days or I'm going to Watchdog and to seek legal advice (the latter always seems to get things moving again...). In the meantime I wrote several letters of complaint to Head Office, etc. Acer sent out a courier the same day I made the complaint and 3 days later I received a new TFT with no problems.

All in all it took about 4 weeks to resolve. That was a long episode I never wish to repeat thats for sure...

Just sharing my experience with you - hopefully you won't have to go through all that but definitely call Acer about it and insist it gets sorted and stay on their backs.

D

Soldato
MeatLoaf said:
Just set mine up and its huuge compared to the 17" TFT i upgraded from. Now to try a few games..

Can you give some feedback on what it looks like when running games in lower resolutions, ie: Sort of around 1100x750ish areas?

Soldato
BF2 looks ok in 1280x900, Im having to reinatall quake3 and doom 4 as they wont start, i think its because they are set to 1280x1024 by default so need a reinstall to change resolution. FarCry tears quite badly so im going to reinstall that too.

Call of Duty 2 is fine, and is supported at native res. UT2004 runs fine at 1280x800. Fear is at 1152x864 and runs fine.

DVDs look fine. Will report back alter when ive reinstalled the games, i was going to do it anyway as ive had an X-fi as well :D

Soldato
MeatLoaf said:
BF2 looks ok in 1280x900, Im having to reinatall quake3 and doom 4 as they wont start, i think its because they are set to 1280x1024 by default so need a reinstall to change resolution. FarCry tears quite badly so im going to reinstall that too.

Huh? That sounds like madness? Having to re-install to change resolution?

Associate
That's some levitating 1916w you've got there :p /\
The stock stand is a bit pants, but i've just got mine on an Ergotron Neo-Flex and it's awesome :D , even if i could sit all day adjusting it.. might have to get a spirit level.

Associate
What settings are people running with this monitor in terms on the screen itself and windows.

I have my brightness set at 25 and contrast 30
Windows DPI at 120 and cleartype fonts enabled and have to say im chuffed. also having a nvidia card been able to adjust the digital vibrace ie colour bit slightly higher

I found the default brightness was too powerful/ Bright,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom