Pipex - port throttling...

Soldato
Has there been an announcement of port throttling on the Pipex network? As an occasional user of P2P networks, I expect to achieve download rates in excess of 20KB/s using a 2Mbps service. I have performed a direct comparison (Demon etc) to find that other 2Mbps ISPs are up to 10 times faster for this type of activity.

Whilst I appreciate the need for network management, do you think it is necessary to apply such a restrictive practice with no discrimination? I have conclusive evidence that this limitation is imposed 24/7 not just at selective times or for excessive users.

Pipex charge a premium rate for what I have come to consider a premium service.

Last edited:
Associate
well it really wouldn't suprise me if you've compared it to others and they get better than you using the same client and wotnot then your probably being throttled or traffic shaped.

Can't tell you for certain as i'm on Demon myself but most ISPs are clamping down on P2P nowdays. Especially on unlimited services.

Soldato
OP
I'm a supporter of traffic management. I've used Demon extensively and confirm that their service is pretty poor for online gaming - maybe this is related to their lack of P2P restrictions?

Perhaps ISPs should be forced to remove the word "unlimited" from their advertising?

Associate
I never have issues with gaming. infact i often out perform other gamers connection wise. Latency can be higher slightly due to heading up to scotland and back.
The poor service you've experienced is most probably down to local issues.
As far as southeast london goes Demon rank above Bulldog, NTL, BT and Tiscali for gaming.
Been with them for 4 years, since day 1 on 512k myself and another on the same Demon express solo service have lapped up a far more consistent service than our pals on NTL and BT. Less drop outs, better international latency, better dowload speeds. This is pretty much still the case for the rival ADSL services.

Unlimited should be removed on services that are traffic managed, yes. As they do suffer restrictions.

Soldato
OP
Skilldibop said:
I never have issues with gaming. infact i often out perform other gamers connection wise. Latency can be higher slightly due to heading up to scotland and back.
The poor service you've experienced is most probably down to local issues.
As far as southeast london goes Demon rank above Bulldog, NTL, BT and Tiscali for gaming.
Been with them for 4 years, since day 1 on 512k myself and another on the same Demon express solo service have lapped up a far more consistent service than our pals on NTL and BT. Less drop outs, better international latency, better dowload speeds. This is pretty much still the case for the rival ADSL services.

Unlimited should be removed on services that are traffic managed, yes. As they do suffer restrictions.

Thanks - I've passed on the link to my Demon mater :cool:

Back
Top Bottom