WC Spec Check

Associate
WC Advice Needed

Hello guys, ive finally decided to take the plunge into proper watercooling after purchasing a reserator about a year ago. I have devised the following spec:

CPU Block - Swiftech Apogee
GPU Block - Danger Den Maze 4
Pump - Danger Den D5
Radiator - Thermochill PA120.2
Tubing - 1/2" Clearflex

This will be used to cool a Newcastle 3500+ and a X800XT, (possibly an Opty 165 in the near future) will two Nexus fans (37CFM each) be adequate to cool these with a bit of room for overclocking? Also has anyone got any experience with a thermaltake tsunami, where is the best place to mount the rad?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Alex

Last edited:
Man of Honour
that looks a pretty descent spec to me its *** i would recommend to anyone... as for mounting it the best place is to top mount it to the roof at the front taking up one drive bay and requiring a bit of modding by cutting a blow hole :) hope that helps

Associate
OP
Ok im going to place the radiator in the top of the case, will this really only take up one drive bay because i read somewhere else it would take two? Also has anyone got any rough idea how the nexus fans at a total 74CFM will perform with the cpu and gpu in the loop? i.e will i have room to overclock either/both?

Man of Honour
Alex40k said:
Ok im going to place the radiator in the top of the case, will this really only take up one drive bay because i read somewhere else it would take two? Also has anyone got any rough idea how the nexus fans at a total 74CFM will perform with the cpu and gpu in the loop? i.e will i have room to overclock either/both?

in my wavemaster my rad is top mounted with fans and it only covers one bay i can fit a more drives in... but takes a bit of care moving the tubing... not sure what u mean by 74cfm... but a 120.2 thermochill pa would be able to cope with anythin you throw at it there very good
probably the best rads about... also i may be tempted to replce the apogee for a danger den tdx cpu block i just believe there perform better... well they do on my system

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok im going to go ahead and order it, does the thermochill rad come with barbs or do i have to order seperately? Also is it worth buying a dangerden fillport, or just stick to a regular t-line?

Ill have a look into the TDX aswell then

Man of Honour
Alex40k said:
Ok im going to go ahead and order it, does the thermochill rad come with barbs or do i have to order seperately? Also is it worth buying a dangerden fillport, or just stick to a regular t-line?

Ill have a look into the TDX aswell then

a fill port goes on the top of a t-line its like a cap for it with a screw top on it for easy filling how else where you going to cap ya t-line?? a cork :) and as for barbs depends where you get it from some places do some dont... when ya place ya order just pop a note on it saying can ya throw in any barbs ineed im sure they will :D

Associate
OP
One last question, If i am mounting the rad at the top, should the fans be pulling air through the rad into the case, or pulling air from inside the case through the rad? i.e should airflow be into or out of the case?

Last edited:
Associate
Hey Al, sorry to hijack your thread but that looks pretty much like what I wana buy. Gunna start off with just the cpu first though. Will this setup take an Opty 148 and a 7800GT, both overclocked? Are the mounting holes for the rad tapped, i.e will I need bolts or screws to mount it with?

Also, think I might get the rad first and decide how its gunna fit in my Sonata II, prob go for up top, will post pics of the process!!

Man of Honour
particleastro said:
Hey Al, sorry to hijack your thread but that looks pretty much like what I wana buy. Gunna start off with just the cpu first though. Will this setup take an Opty 148 and a 7800GT, both overclocked? Are the mounting holes for the rad tapped, i.e will I need bolts or screws to mount it with?

Also, think I might get the rad first and decide how its gunna fit in my Sonata II, prob go for up top, will post pics of the process!!

yep it will be able to cope easily... i have a BIP rad with a clocked 7800 and 3700 temps are always good... the rad will be tapped so you just screw it down :)

ichabodcrane-radmounted.jpg

thats how i top mounted

Associate
OP
Disaster, the thermochill 120.2 wont fit in the top of my Thermaltake Tsunami case. I was looking at the Akasa Eclipse 62 as a replacement, will it fit in this case?

Man of Honour
Alex40k said:
Disaster, the thermochill 120.2 wont fit in the top of my Thermaltake Tsunami case. I was looking at the Akasa Eclipse 62 as a replacement, will it fit in this case?

lol always the way i had an xspc that wouldnt fit in my wavemaster... measure ** rad then find the measurments for the akasa case probably on there main site :)

Associate
Mikey1280 said:
Build yourself a radbox to go underneath or just put the radiator on the back, I think I'm gonna build a radbox when my parts arrive.

Oh yeah and Ichabod Crane that looks very nice ;)

i built a rad box it just lot easer to fit all the bits in

Associate
Ok, one last thing before I plump and buy stuff...are those swiftech radiators any good? They seem to be much cheaper than thermochill stuff, yet have the same 'reported' characteristics? I like the look of those swiftech raddys cos of the rad box you can buy with them...

Associate
OP
Well rather than ordering a new case, i replaced the PA120.2 with two PA120.1 s so i can mount one on the back and one up in the top. Cost a bit more but was less than buying a whole new case. This shouldnt affect performance right?

Alex

Back
Top Bottom