changed mind, help me re-spec!

Associate
after much consideration, i can't be arsed with a sff. haven't really seen a decent mobo for it, and after a lot more reading i know i'll have much more fun with a tower! plus i want to game the best i can afford, so without further ado some advice would be lovely :)

CPU - AMD Opteron 64 165 Socket939

Cooler - Zalman CNPS9500-LED Aero Flower Cooler

MotherBoard - ASUS A8N32 SLi Deluxe NF4 SLI, S939

Video Card - 512MB XFX 7900GTX

Vid Cooler - Zalman VF900-CU

Display - NEC MultiSync® LCD20WGX2 20.1"

Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

Case - Akasa Eclipse-62

Memory - 2GB (2X1GB) Corsair TwinX Pro LED, DDR PC3500LL

Hard drive - 250 GB Samsung SpinPoint

PSU - 500W Enermax Liberty Modular Series

Optical - Plextor PX-716AL/T3 16X16X DVD+-RW Dual Layer

Mouse - Razer Copperhead Tempest Blue

Keyboard - Saitek (PZ08AU) Pro Gamers Keyboard

Mouse Mat - Steelpad S&S

Fans - Akasa AK-183-L2B Ultra Quiet 120mm Fan x2

Cables - Akasa SATA-2 & IDE

And some Arctic Silver 5

Which comes to £1745.54, without VAT, which work have said I can put through the business to avoid :)

any more suggestions? cheers

Last edited:
Associate
as the 165 is a 1.8, have you not considered a 150 @ 2.4. i say this because my 250's can hit 2.7. and they are about the same price. also LG & Plextor make good DVD drives. You'll need one of them!

Man of Honour
dual2max said:
as the 165 is a 1.8, have you not considered a 150 @ 2.4. i say this because my 250's can hit 2.7.

The 165 is a dual core CPU which I'd assume is the point in buying it for vespr :)

The remaining components are fine, you probably don't need a sound card unless you have a very good speaker system as onboard is pretty good now and it would free up more cash for other areas if you wanted.

Case depends on your budget, the Antec SLK3000B is a good solid case at around £30 without a PSU then I'd maybe consider an Akasa Eclipse at nearer £80 or just pick one that takes your fancy and ask in the cases forum about its good and bad points.

As dual2max mentions you will need an optical drive if you don't already have one.

Associate
OP
cheers for advice guys

getting the opteron for the dual core reasons, and yes because you can oc that badboy to beyond an x2. just makes sense to me... hs/f, i'm undecided. i don't want my system to be loud, so i'm looking at the Zalman CNPS9500-LED Aero Flower, just wondering though if that'll be able to get a nice push out of the oppie :confused:

optical will be a plextor most likely and the case i think i'll go with silverstone Temjin TJ05.

as for the sound card, i'll be using a sennheiser hd650, so i like a good card behind it. plus i think x-ram will be vital down the line...

just waiting to see what happens with this gainward 7900gt 512, otherwise i'm very tempted to go gtx... should be a lovely system when it's up and running.

oh and it's for gaming and video encoding mainly so speed is of the essence :)

Associate
OP
hmm, wondering about swapping the GTX for the 512MB 7900GT by Gainward... Guess until reviews start popping up there's no way to tell the difference in speed

Back
Top Bottom