A few from Donington Park this weekend (56k no no)

Associate
Taken with my new 70-300 IS USM lens this weekend (before the bad weather hit)

acoates.jpg

dpaton.jpg

lhaslam.jpg

olinsdell.jpg

sidecar1.jpg

Associate
OP
I was at redgate corner so I could pan from redgate round towards hollywood. It's the closest part of the track for photos without fences being in the way.

Yes, 91 is Leon Haslam.

Soldato
Braeden said:
I was at redgate corner so I could pan from redgate round towards hollywood. It's the closest part of the track for photos without fences being in the way.

Yes, 91 is Leon Haslam.

last time i went to donnington It was well hot for the gp!!! Was at the bottom of craners

Bet you got a little cold and wet!

They dont hang about round redgate do they

Associate
OP
Richard T said:
last time i went to donnington It was well hot for the gp!!! Was at the bottom of craners

Bet you got a little cold and wet!

They dont hang about round redgate do they

Craners down to the old hairpin and up to starkeys are good places to watch, but not great for frame filling photos with a 300mm lens (although I didnt get to take photos at craners this weekend due to the weather so I may be a little out on that statement)

Speaking of weather... I got absolutely soaked, even with all the layers I was wearing, and my hands and face felt like ice. Still enjoyed it though :)

Redgate is great but you need to be on the ball with your panning - especially with the faster bikes and riders :)

Associate
OP
Yep, there aren't many places you can't get to at Donny. There are certain places reserved for the press but for the most part you can get trackside just about anywhere.

There was certainly a large amount of very expensive L glass at the weekend, not all of it was the pro's either.

Soldato
I'm thinking about going to the MotoGP in July, I've been to Donington loads before but have stuck to the pit lane, think I'll check out other areas before if I can.
Where is the best place to park to get into the middle quick ?

Soldato
From memory you can be in the middle in about 5 mins walking from the main carpark.

I am going to the GP later on in the year, not for the photography really, but for the bikes, but I will be taking the camera along with me. Its a long time away but if a few of us are going we could meet up :)

Excellent pics from sunday, i'd rather have been there than up the cat & fiddle getting soaked and cold :(

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

SDK^ said:
I'm thinking about going to the MotoGP in July, I've been to Donington loads before but have stuck to the pit lane, think I'll check out other areas before if I can.
Where is the best place to park to get into the middle quick ?

SDK^ I went to MotoGP last year and on race day I could not believe how packed it was. The entire circuit was literally full to the brim, me and my mate arrived at 9.00am at the circuit...didn't get in until about 10 and by that time we had to sit 3/4 up the bank on the outside of the old hairpin. - Even with an ultra long zoom you wouldn't get shots like those above.

If your looking to take photo's, I'd definately do it on the Friday and the Saturday, because I think you'll find the Sunday is just to heaving.

...Oh and by the way, lovely photo's, really caught the panning well :)

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Psilonaught said:
I really don't see the appeal of these kinds of images - they are just bikes going round a track :confused:

Are you into Motorsport just purely out of interest? Yes they are cars going round the track but for people that are into these sort of things the photo's really have an impact. I personally find landscape photo's and portrait photography extremely boring and I could not justify walking around hills doing sunset shots...therefore I am quite naiive probably to what these sort of shots can offer.

However action shots in Motorsprt quite often, like this, really show an element of speed, shows the riders (or drivers) on the limit pushing as much as I can. The only way I could see these photo's being improved from an interest point would be to see other riders in the frame wheel to wheel.

Everyone likes things for different reasons :) Capturing a moment in time on a track is just as important as catching a nice landscape or nature shot.

Soldato
TomWilko said:
SDK^ I went to MotoGP last year and on race day I could not believe how packed it was. The entire circuit was literally full to the brim, me and my mate arrived at 9.00am at the circuit...didn't get in until about 10 and by that time we had to sit 3/4 up the bank on the outside of the old hairpin. - Even with an ultra long zoom you wouldn't get shots like those above.

Thanks for the info, I will probably go on Saturday.

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

There were some on here a couple of weeks back I do believe from a track in Ireland maybe...not sure where though. Again shot with the 70-300 IS and again very impressive. This looks like a very good lens :) - Obviously it depends who is using it of course!

Back
Top Bottom