Golf IV - how to disable the auto locking feature?

Soldato
This has caught me out on a few occasions. The last time I placed my keys on the floor of the boot and closed it. Within seconds it had locked :mad:

Is it a series of key presses to disable this auto lock feature?

Thanks.

Permabanned
Its a 'tickable' option in the Diagnostic menu.

You'll have to get it deactivated by a dealer.

Wouldnt want to know why you'd want it deactivated though, great feature in my mind!

Soldato
LOL
I did this the other day.
Came out of the house, locked the door. Put the baby in the car, fastened her in etc and whilst doing this, I chucked the keys on the drivers seat.
All done, I shut the passenger side door and walked around the car to the driver's side. Just as I got there, *bleep* car locked itself, baby inside!
I ended up having to go through next door's attic, drop down into the house to get the spare key fob.

Soldato
NickXX said:
Yeah, is a good feature. I thought i only autolocked the Golf if you unlocked it and didn't open any doors though? :confused:

Mine (not a golf btw) autolocks itself after 60-90 seconds if the car is unlocked but the key isn't inserted into the ignition barrel.

Soldato
Just find someone with a VAG-COM cable and software. There is normally a helpful forum member or two in anyones area if you ask around.
It's a 30 second job to deactivate it. Or pay a stealer to do it for you.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There's no way to disable it mentioned in the manual?

There's 2 ways to disable it in my Clio. I have to hold 4 buttons down on both sides of the car and hop on one foot whilst singing the national anthem, or something equally as daft, but I can disable it.

Weird that there's no trigger to disable it.

Mine locks once it goes above 6mph, and if the doors aren't opened 30 seconds after being unlocked they lock again.

Better than the way the Golf one works I think.

Soldato
Gilly said:
Mine locks once it goes above 6mph, and if the doors aren't opened 30 seconds after being unlocked they lock again.

That's the same as the Mk5 Golf. I don't remember a way of disabling it with a combination of button presses. I think it's something the stealership has to do.

Soldato
OP
I think I can live with the auto locking feature but the auto alarm really does my head in!

Here's an example, you press the button to unlock the boot. You're rummaging away and it decides to activate the alarm (within about 30 seconds) :mad:

Surely this can't be considered a benefit?

Associate
That's definatly not right. The autolock feature is only supposed to lock the doors and re-arm the alarm if you disarm the system and don't open ANY doors (inc the boot) within 30secs.

The dealers cannot remove this as it's part of the Thatcham Cat1 criteria and is built into the alarm system. Neither can anyone with a VAG-COM.

Sounds to me like the system is not detecting the boot is being opened. It works off the interior light in the boot, is that broken?

Caporegime
i think you've missed the point

hes shut the boot

so its locking correctly

just sounds like its not leaving enough time for you to go round the car to get to the door / realise the keys are in your bag in the boot or whatever.

Soldato
OP
MrLOL said:

hes shut the boot

so its locking correctly

just sounds like its not leaving enough time for you to go round the car to get to the door / realise the keys are in your bag in the boot or whatever.

Yeah - you're right that seems quite normal.

g60dubster referred to the alarm issue which sounds like a fault.

Man of Honour
MrLOL said:

hes shut the boot

so its locking correctly

If my doors are unlocked and then you open one (inc. boot) then the auto-lock feature is disabled entirely no matter what you do from then on, until the button is pressed again.

Stupid any other way.

Soldato
emailiscrap said:
Just find someone with a VAG-COM cable and software. There is normally a helpful forum member or two in anyones area if you ask around.
It's a 30 second job to deactivate it. Or pay a stealer to do it for you.

Correct. This is the only way to enable/disable the feature on all VAG cars. You can do it yourself but you need to buy a fairly expensive cable and piece of software plus if you do something wrong you could end up screwing the car up which means Mr. VAG dealer has your pants well and truly down. ;) Definately worth finding someone who can do it for you. Have a look on www.tyresmoke.net. There is a VAG-COM forum on there.

Soldato
OP
adwhitworth said:
Correct. This is the only way to enable/disable the feature on all VAG cars. You can do it yourself but you need to buy a fairly expensive cable and piece of software plus if you do something wrong you could end up screwing the car up which means Mr. VAG dealer has your pants well and truly down. ;) Definately worth finding someone who can do it for you. Have a look on www.tyresmoke.net. There is a VAG-COM forum on there.

Thanks very much!

Caporegime
Sounds like a poor system tbh, my clio has an autolock on the doors, if you unlock the car with the fob then don't open the doors or boot then the car will auto lock after 30 - 60 seconds, since you need to open the doors to leave the keys in (unless you drop them though the sunroof) its almost foolproof.

Back
Top Bottom