Windows Re-Install

Associate
I currently have 2 SATA drives - one containing windows and all my programs - the other my Documents , movies, pics, music etc.

Firstly - is this a sensible setup - I have my Page file on the 2nd drive (advice I've read in a couple of places)

Secondly - I want to re install windows - will I be able to do this reformatting just the 1st drive - and keeping the data on the 2nd - will windows recognise the 2nd SATA drive without need for a reformat of it?

Once I have reformatted where's the best places to store data - should Windows be kept on a separate drive to my programs - or is this unnecessary?

I do have most of the stuff of the 2nd drive backed up but would like to keep it as is to save time - and just to see if its possible.

Soldato
Stop worrying, just remember if you format a drive, the datas gone (yes you can recover it but......) if the drive is left intact, any windows inbstallation can see it.
so yes format the first, bung the os on it and it will see the second.

with regard to pagefile system drive etc, it doesnt matter as long as a few gig are left free on each drive :rolleyes:

Soldato
You will be fine just formatting the first drive, keep in mind that any games installed onto the second drive will require a re-install!

As Slam62 says, in reality it makes little difference where the page file is located.

Careful with the unnecesary rolleyes there Slam62 :confused:

Associate
OP
Thanks guys - just wanted to check -

If my guess had been wrong and it hadn't kept the data on drive 2 - I'd be on here tomorrow moaning and getting eye rolls for not knowing!

You just can't win!

Associate
Just make sure you format the windows drive and not the other one with your music and videos on :p

I tried putting my programs on a separate partition to windows, but it just made it more complicated and I didn't really see any advantage.

:rolleyes: @ Slam62

Permabanned
Simmy said:
Just make sure you format the windows drive and not the other one with your music and videos on :p

I tried putting my programs on a separate partition to windows, but it just made it more complicated and I didn't really see any advantage.

:rolleyes: @ Slam62

Not complicated at all if you use nLite (It can change you windows default install directory to where-ever you want D: is best) Plus you will see an advantage in that the system will run more efficiently.

Back
Top Bottom