Is it normal for a PSU to do this?

Soldato
Got a new seasonic 600w psu about a week or so ago. Any way, plugged it in, plugged in all my drives etc and turned it on. the pc came on fine and started booting, then i suddenly realised my fans weren't spinning as i'd not plugged in my fan controller. So i turned off the PC mid boot, plugged in the fan controller and tried to turn back on. But nothing. The PSU would simply not power up. I tried various things, and tried leaving it off for a while...no joy.

So, very frustrated, i unplugged it and put my old enermax in and it booted fine.

Then a few days later i was about to rma it when i thought i'd try it once more. And it worked fine. I only plugged in the main power connectors as i was short on time, but it powered up no problem. Today i've finally had some time to put the seasonic in properly, plugged it all in etc, booted up .... BEEP BEEP BEEP...arrrgghh, i'd forgotted to plug my graphics card in. So i had to shut it down...plug the card in....then boot back up. But again, i couldn't boot back up. The PSU won't power on at all!

There is a light showing on my motherboard, which goes off when i completely unplug the psu, so i'm guessing there's something going on there.

What's the story with this? Because it's a new psu does it need to be left running for a bit before shutting down? Obivously that had been my intention but i made the schoolboy error we've all made with the gfx card.

Any ideas? I'm back to my enermax atm, but i'll probably give the seasonic another go later tonight after work.

Permabanned
RMA the seasonic, probably does not like a lot of load. Either that or try doing with everything plugged in.

Soldato
OP
i hate rma'ing stuff...another tenner down the drain for postage and packaging (seasonic or someone should pay for that!!!)....i'll try again tomorrow and make sure i have everything plugged in before i boot up. Maybe it just needs to warm up for a few mins and all will be normal. Who knows.

n3x

n3x

Associate
my hiper has a similar problem... it wont power up the pc unless i switch off power completely. Apparently its something to do with the standby rails??? I asked around and no1 could really help me out so i just put it down to an incompatibility with my psu and mobo. I'll get a decent psu eventually and see if that fixes it but its no biggy for now.

Soldato
OP
well, i left it for an hour, plugged it back in and it seems fine now. Tbh though, it's not as quiet as i expected. I think i'm going to sell it and put my enermax back in :(

Permabanned
Decent (and even some cheap) PSU's have internal timed trips that will activate when you short/error lines. These trips isolate the PSU for a pre-defined time and then reset!

I suggest you leave it for a bit (30-60mins) and then rig it all up (CORRECTLY) and then give it another try. It may have a supersensitive protection system that is activating the internal timed trip each time you crash it.

Soldato
I have a DFI nF3 250Gb board and it has a booting issue similar to yours.

If I press RESET, the computer will NOT boot up at all, everything whirrs up but there is no post, nothing on the screen, it's dead.

It's not a massive issue, i've got no problem with switching off the computer, and a software boot doesn't cause the problem (only by pressing the button on the computer).

Have you considered it's maybe the board doing this? You could try the forums at www.dfi-street.com and see if there is an updated or another version of the BIOS that corrects this issue, or makes it happen less.

Associate
Well for me it was between the Seasonic and the Epsilon . If the Seasonic is as noisy as made out then i'll give the FSP Sparkle FX700-GLN Epsilon 700W a go for my new build :(

Theres a couple of other posts concerning issues with the Seasonic , a quality control issue on the latest batches perhaps ??

Last edited:
Permabanned
pastymuncher said:
If you RMA an item that is faulty you are fully entitled to a full refund of postage. The sales of goods act states "a consumer should not be financially penalised for the return of faulty goods". That is the law.

That's only if it is DOA (DeadOnArrival) or faulty on arrival.

Associate
I have the same 600watt seasonic and it did something similar after a power cut ie wouldn't power up for a while after the power came back on so it could well be some sort of protection feature as suggested, mine is pretty quiet compared to other psu's i have had.

Back
Top Bottom