Weird Power/Keyboard problem

Associate
I just decided to clean out my pc like i usually do, which involved removing the front panel of my case, and cleaning the filter on that, then opening the side panel and carefully hoovering the dust from the bottom of the case. All went well and it was as usual how i've done it many times, the problem came on rebooting.
I got into windows, then suddenly the pc turned off and wouldnt restart. So i unplugged the PSU and turned the switch to it on and off, then plugged it back in and the pc turned on fine. I logged into windows fine using the keyboard, but then typing on msn it just started going all weird, when i pressed a keyboard button the system speaker would beep, and all of the LED's on the keyboard lit up and random characters got typed on screen, and eventually this just stopped and the keyboard no longer responded (its a standard PS/2 keyboard), unplugging it and plugging it back in made no difference, so i had to reboot. After i turned off my pc it wouldnt turn back on, after it had powered down the power LED on the front was still on, and switching it back on it just cut out the moment it powered on. Basically to cut it short i went through a lot of this, checked all of the internal and external connections, but to no avail. It still very dodgily boots up, it takes a load of unplugging the psu and fiddling with the switch to make the pc turn on, but now the keyboard doesnt work at all.
One weird thing about the keyboard is that i left the pc for 10 minutes, came back and the keyboard worked fine on reboot, for about 2 minutes then the beeping occured and it eventually died.

I'm so confused as to whether this is a PSU failure (the pc is stable once it actually starts running), or my keyboard has failed (i unfortunately dont have another one to test). But it still wont boot properly without anything plugged into the pc except power. I dont know what there is i can do, i have no spare PSU's or keyboards, and i dont wanna spend 60 quid on a new PSU to find its not the problem (although in my knowledge this seems very likely to be the case)

My PSU is 360W, it came with my chieftec dragon case back in 2002 so its unbranded, and its worked fine up until now. I dont see what i could have done to stop it all working

Associate
OP
ok i just turned the pc back on....

I have other things connected to the usb slots aswell, after turning it back on the keyboard was working fine, but as i typed i noticed my usb steering wheel started twitching, and my mouse LED sensor started blinking, and then eventually it all stopped working except for the mouse, the steering wheel had died aswell as the keyboard.

So its like the rear ports just dont get enough power, i dont understand

Associate
OP
Ok some self help here, i dismantled the whole pc, leaving the motherboard, ram and cpu/HSF intact, removed the PSU, connected it to the motherboard only, plugged in the front panel connectors, switched it on and it worked but no VGA card. So i put in the VGA card with monitor, booted fine, but wouldnt reboot at all, just cuts out instantly.

So, must be a PSU problem right?? Buying a new one now...

Back
Top Bottom