Convince me to go with my head rather than my heart.

Soldato
Okay so I asked a few days back about recommendations for around the 4k mark. The pretty much unanimous response was a Focus. I started looking around for one and low and behold found out that a good friend of my girlfriends parents wants to sell his. This friend is an MP and was planning on trading his car in and getting a jag. While he is well aware he could get at least £5200 for his car privately he is willing to sell it to me for around the sort of price he would get by trading it in... 4k.

The Focus is 2002, Black 1.6 zetec. 30k on the clock, air con, CD player etc... And looks like this....

http://www.used-fordcars.co.uk/usedcardetails-t-ukwebsites-u-1826-v-UK101868-p-.html

Perfect right? Okay yes it is. I know I should snap this car up asap. However I started thinking to myself what about something a bit more fun? Screw the practicality, I really don't need it. Therefore I started taking a look at a few Puma's.

I found a gorgeous 2001 model. 1.6 Dark metallic green (which I actually loved in the flesh) 50k on the clock, air con, CD player for £4695.

Now I am torn. The Focus is a bargain, I would be stupid to turn it down but a huge part of me wants to have something fun to nip around in. Plus I have to admit to finding the looks of this particular Puma extremely attractive.

So lads... What to do?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
GordyR said:
Now I am torn. The Focus is a bargain, I would be stupid to turn it down but a huge part of me wants to have something fun to nip around in.

Buy the Focus. Not only is it a better deal and arguably a better all-round car, but it is also far from not fun. The Focus is a brilliantly handling car - far better than a car of its type really ought to be. You will not be short of fun in the Focus which you'd otherwise get in the Puma.

As for the practicality option, err, who cares? It's not as if a Focus is THAT much more practical anyway, remember the Puma is essentially a Fiesta, it's hardly an MR2 Turbo, it's hardly impractical, so it's not as if the choice is between a mundane car and a sports car. It's between two mildly interesting Fords. Context please :)

Soldato
Conanius from here has just bought one, and seems to like it. I'm currently looking to get one once I sell my car.

I had a drive of one over the weekend, and thought it was a "hoot" to drive. Great round the back roads.

But...

The 1.6 is not the one to get, you really want the 1.7. It might only be 0.1 difference in the engine size, but it equates to a lot on the road due to the variable cam (VCT). If you look around, you can get a 1.7 for the same price - might be an '00 rather than '01 though.

Associate
As commented, the Focus is above the competition regarding enjoyment behind the wheel, but not to the extent that the Puma is.

Unless you really need the rear & boot space, i'd go for the Puma, a cool car.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Buy the Focus. Not only is it a better deal and arguably a better all-round car, but it is also far from not fun. The Focus is a brilliantly handling car - far better than a car of its type really ought to be. You will not be short of fun in the Focus which you'd otherwise get in the Puma.

As for the practicality option, err, who cares? It's not as if a Focus is THAT much more practical anyway, remember the Puma is essentially a Fiesta, it's hardly an MR2 Turbo, it's hardly impractical, so it's not as if the choice is between a mundane car and a sports car. It's between two mildly interesting Fords. Context please :)

The Puma will be far more fun to drive :) and the 1.7 is the better engine + the fact that it feels a lot nicer inside :) The Focus is IMO horid inside :(

Go for the Puma mate , Great cars ( top gears car of the year one year )

Sam

Associate
How mich does that model actually sell for? could be an idea to buy it and sell it again straight off for a quick profit and then get the puma?

A few questions:

Do you really want a focus? dont let the fact that lots of people on a forum reccommended it decide for you, remember its your car, your money, have you driven one to see if you like it?

Can you live with a less practical car? less space in the back for passengers(on par maybe less than my old Ka!!), boot aint too bad, tho rear visibility is a bit limited.

Can you afford to run the puma? insurance will be more, not to mention that parts will be harder to get for it as they no longer make it meaning other things like service "may" be more expensive. It will cost more in petrol..not much but then every little helps (damn you Tesco!).

If you can afford to buy and run it and would rather own the puma then go for it!

James

Edit - Fox, not having a dig, but have you seen the back seats in the puma? it really is tiny in there, definately at the best it was the size of my Ka, coupled with the dark interior colour it really did seem like it would only be suitable for kids/small people, and its only designed for 2!(in the back that is, 4 ppl in total just to clarify)

Last edited:
Soldato
Listen to your heart when he's calling your...great tune :cool:

Erm yeah. You only live once mate, listen to your heart.

I hear that the 1.6 Focus is a little under powered...

Soldato
NightShadow said:
Can you live with a less practical car? less space in the back for passengers(on par maybe less than my old Ka!!), boot aint too bad, tho rear visibility is a bit limited.
James

Yeah, the back seats really are a joke :p

Rear visibility I didn't find so bad, but the blind spots were bigger than e.g. a focus.

Soldato
OP
Wow great responses guys... I have to admit I was expecting nearly all of you to say go with the Focus since it's such a bargain.

As for the idea of buying the Focus and selling it on for a quick 1k or so profit... Well as much as I would love to I have to admit that I would feel terrible doing so as I know the guy personally and whatever car I drive will be parked across the road from his house regularly since he lives opposite my girlfriend. :p

Keep the opinions coming guys... This decision is far from made. :)

Suspended
Ive always bought cars from my heart, everyone should!

Its ok being boring and thinking of practicality and fuel economy but which will make you smile more:

The puma you love or the focus thats a deal!

It doesnt matter which car is better go for one that will make you smile :D

Is it just going to be you and the g/f in your car? What will you be using it for?

Soldato
Go for the Puma, I've had a couple of them and they are great little cars. Still fairly practical, boot is large enough for most things, the rear seats are a little cramped but you can fit three adults in with a squeeze (hey if they want a lift they can't complain!).

Man of Honour
I think everyone is losing sight of the options here.

It is not 'Do I buy a Renault Laguna... Diesel.... Estate..... with no turbo... or an MR2 Turbo'.

It's not a 'mundane, boring car or amazing sports car' choice.

It's 'Which decent handling Ford should I buy'.

Not really the same, and not really as easy as 'omg screw practicality' or 'go for fun!' given both cars are:

a) Practical
b) Fun.

Associate
Lets see:

Focus - Bit more practical, cheaper on insurance, petrol & maybe some parts come serviceing time. 1.6 engine is probably better than the 1.8 going by the 1.8 in my GF's parents focus, though the interior really is cheap and horrid, if it was black it may have looked better. Handles well but at the end of the day, its a normal car thats better than most in its class and doesnt stand out from the crowd in the looks department.

Puma - Less room for passengers and OK size boot, insurance will be a fair bit more (depending on your age, location, NCB of course). The interior is better than the focus and it handles better too! performance is good but as said the 1.7 is the best engine (jap engine..yamaha i think or somthing like that).

At the end of the day its down to wether you want a sporty looking smaller car or a class leading family car, both handle well and both go quite well(tho the puma trups the focus in both of these).

James

Permabanned
Gordy you complete FAG Puma!??? Please, unless your female, get the Focus :p

OK, EDIT: Buy the Focus for the great price, then sell it for £1k more, then get the Puma and add MODS like a true Cha.....OCuK member.... :D

Last edited:

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Oracle said:
Gordy you complete FAG Puma!??? Please, unless your female, get the Focus :p

OK, EDIT: Buy the Focus for the great price, then sell it for £1k more, then get the Puma and add MODS like a true Cha.....OCuK member.... :D

Rather be driving a sporty looking puma over a rather bland looking basic model focus :) Sure a puma is a little "girly" but no more so than a focus :p

Back
Top Bottom