Line stats (again) - Still Confused

Associate
Okay I know this is about the millionth time this has been asked and hopefully answered (I have done a search, but don't understand)
Can someone please explain what the different parts of line stats mean in plain english.
Down Up
SNR Margin 24.2 31.0 dB
Line Attenuation 38.8 26.0 dB
Errored Seconds 3642 14
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 10480 14
Data Rate 2272 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

If it helps the above stats are from my modem, which has been "up" for just short of 23 days.
Supposed to be upgraded to max tomorrow (13th) and depending on which site I go to, get told I will get anywhere from 5mb- 8mb.

Also should I switch my router off before I go to work in the morning and then back on when I get home?

Thanks

Caporegime
Origin said:
Down Up
SNR Margin 24.2 31.0 dB
Line Attenuation 38.8 26.0 dB

Decent but not great.

Errored Seconds 3642 14

0.18% of the seconds your router was connected had errors. Pretty good.

CRC Errors 10480 14

Probably decent (depends on the number of frames you chucked across the connection too).

Data Rate 2272 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

Not massively important (other than you're on a standard home2000 service).

Doubt you'll have a problem getting the 448kbps upload rate. Time'll tell what download rate you wind up with.

Associate
OP
tolien said:
Decent but not great.

I'm guessing I should try either ring wire trick or getting a new face plate with the ADSL connection on the front of it. Currently run through 2 extensions and up stairs to an extension reel.

If I do this at the weekend, will it be enough time for the exchange to "re-train" if my stats / conditions improve?

Caporegime
Origin said:
I'm guessing I should try either ring wire trick or getting a new face plate with the ADSL connection on the front of it.

It's worth a pop.

If I do this at the weekend, will it be enough time for the exchange to "re-train" if my stats / conditions improve?

It isn't fixed.

Back
Top Bottom