Torrent encryption - requires peers to have encryption enabled?

Soldato
I'm currently using encryption as my ISP has decided to restrict P2P use to 20KB/s 24/7.

In order to achieve the maximum available transfer rate, does the person/people that are sharing the file need to have encryption enabled on their end? Perhaps I can't even share with people who have encryption switched off?

Associate
The very nature of encryption means both ends need to be using the same encryption method. If this isn't happening at the sender's end the data isn't encrypted and never will be in that direction of travel.
If the sender is sending encrypted data then if the recipient doesn't have encryption running then they won't be able to get at the data. Which is the whole idea behind it.

Soldato
OP
OllyM said:
You can interact with people without encryption enabled, but it won't be encrypted.. if that makes sense.

Best option is get your MAC and move ISP.

Yeah, I think I understand. So I can max out on the encrypted feeds but only 20KB/s on the unencrypted ones? I guess this will result in an overall lower download rate cf connecting to 100% encrypted peers?

I'm currently looking at Nildram, Eclipse and Zen :p

Back
Top Bottom