• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zalman GPU coolers

Associate
Right, I am considering buying a new GPU cooler.

I have heard the zalman range is very good,

The Zalman VF700-CU @ £23.44 inc VAT i thought was ok....

Then I look at a competitor and notice that they are selling the Fata1ty version that is £30 at OCUK for £22 ....

If the two coolers were the exact same price from OCUK... which one would be better??? (excuse me if this is a dumb question or not)

and if so how much better would the better cooler be?

PS: I heard the Fata1ty range was just a con to spend more, am i correct??

Townlea

Soldato
should be hopefully treating myself to one this weekend (sorry to hijack the thread) but are they pretty easy to install?

not done this stuff before... been building pc's for a fair few years now, but this is the first time i've ever changed a fan on a graphics card :)

Soldato
I dont own one, but a good friend of mine does. Easy to install, the only hard part was taking to old cooler off :p. Dropped temps by about 30oC on an X800XTPE AGP iirc, and allowed for a slightly better overclock.

EDIT: This was the VF900.

Soldato
cool :)

wow didn't realise that the VF900 was only £1 more expensive than the old VF700 :eek:

last time i checked it was about £8 more expensive... definately getting one of these this weekend :)

hopefully tomorrows This Week Only will be generous to me :p

Soldato
nikebee said:
should be hopefully treating myself to one this weekend (sorry to hijack the thread) but are they pretty easy to install?

not done this stuff before... been building pc's for a fair few years now, but this is the first time i've ever changed a fan on a graphics card :)

Yeha was very simple, this is the second fan i've fitted actually! first was an arctic cooling fan on my old 9800pro which was simple!

THe Zalmans are very simple, just read the instructions and follow it all step by step and you wont go wrong :D

Instant results?! try me losing 20 degrees on both idle and load temps on my x1800xt :D

ray

ray

Associate
jrodga2k5 said:
Yeha was very simple, this is the second fan i've fitted actually! first was an arctic cooling fan on my old 9800pro which was simple!

THe Zalmans are very simple, just read the instructions and follow it all step by step and you wont go wrong :D

Instant results?! try me losing 20 degrees on both idle and load temps on my x1800xt :D

Totally agree. I fitted the vf900 to my x1900 last week and it was pretty straightforward as the instructions were easy to follow. This is the first GPU cooler I've installed.

I've got the cooler connected to a fan controller and even at the maximum fan speed all you hear is a slight wooshing sound. I normally keep the fan at 50% and it's inaudible. Temperatures have been around 10degs cooler for me.

Associate
I'm another user of the vf900. Installed it a couple of nights ago. One tip, test the card first before making the change. I didn't and when I took the hold heatsink off and the screws fell to the floor I suddenly realised that even if things went well it might still go wrong because i didn't know if it worked in the first place.

Generally speaking though, as scary as it was, the installation was not very hard. Getting the old heatsink off was actually the easist bit for me. The toughest bit was hooking the fan up to my own fan control unit.

Results are great. On min fan speed I don't even reach 45c underload and it is COMPLETELY SILENT. On max settings it's very quiet and i don't go above 39c. Dead impressed.

Last edited:

kbc

kbc

Associate
man_from_uncle said:
Results are great. On min fan speed I don't even reach 45c underload and it is COMPLETELY SILENT. On max settings it's very quiet and i don't go above 39c. Dead impressed.

Yeps... mine idles about there. It's very easy to install on my 7900GT. Removing the stock sink was easy as well. I applied some AS5 on mine rather than the stock paste. :)

Mfr

Mfr

Associate
I can highly recommend the ZalmanVF900-cu, it let me overclock my bfg 7800gt to 500 core, 1.2 mem. Idles around 40 and under load around 50. Best cooler i've ever had! :D

Associate
Mfr said:
I can highly recommend the ZalmanVF900-cu, it let me overclock my bfg 7800gt to 500 core, 1.2 mem. Idles around 40 and under load around 50. Best cooler i've ever had! :D

Exactly the same result for me mate! and the fan setting is just under half so I cant hear it :D
An awesome cooler, cant fault it. The whole package has Quality written all over it.
Installation was no problem, just run 3D mark for 15-20 mins before removing the stock cooler. That'll make it easier to take off

Permabanned
For those of you who have owned a V700 and have now bought a V900, is the V900 better at cooling and is it any quieter? Was it worth changing to?

Associate
squiffy said:
How's it compare to stock X1900XT cooler, with the Zalman on the highest fan setting? (cooling and noise)

I would like to know this too. in the process of overclocking my X1900XTX's and because of the heat i have to run them between 80-100 speed all the time and they are bloody loud, especially with 2 of them going (they do however keep it pretty cool even with high overclocks).

Back
Top Bottom