Are you guys 100% certain?

Soldato
Tommy B said:
Are you guys SURE that if I were to add another 2 sticks of ram, totalling 2GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel, I wouldn't be able to run 1T with an Athlon 64 3500?

Much better getting 2x1Gb, maintain 1T and clocks well too.

Conc

Soldato
The difference is about 5% to 10%

But the difference is smaller in games as usually you are videocard limited.

But ione other thing is that overclocking is almost out of the question with four sticks so that might also give a 5% difference.

Permabanned
some mobos will allow you to run 4 sticks at 1T now, only ones i know of are the dfi expert and the asus a8n sli premium. I tried 4 sticks on my ultra-d at 1T and it wouldnt go past post screen.

Associate
It depends on the board and the CPU doesn't it? Firstly I think only the venice cores and above allow you to do 1T on 4 sticks, all other A64s below that I think its an automatic no. And then I think the board has to specifically support it as said above with the boards such as the DFI. Most of the time that depends on how many chips are on each side of the stick i think. IOW: Its not a 100% certainty :p

Associate
Its always been risky and cause a lot of probs running 4 sticks. I doubt if *** asus premium will do it. Havent tried 4 sticks on my expert but dont think it will do it. Only one i know of is the new xfire board that dfi are about to release. Suppose to be the best 939 board ever released

Permabanned
I run 4 x 512 Corsair 3200XL with a Winchester 3200 at the minute. (MSI K8N NEO2)

I did try to mix and match my 2 corsair sticks with 2 Patriot sticks that were the same timmings 5-2-2-2 and also TCCD sticks, but it was realy realy unstable mixed. luckily i was able to persaude a m8 to exchange his Corsair that was the same as my own for the Patriot (he was happy because it was fitted on a brainpower pcb) Once that was done my Ram and cpu combination has been 100 stable since making the change, fingers crossed :)

It's true that you do default to 166 (333) @ 2T due to the limitations of the winni memory controller though :(

The way i overcome this partialy is to overclock my CPU from its default 2000 to 2400 by raising the FSB by 40, this means my cpu now runs at 2.4 and my ram is now running at 200 (400) but still at 2T. My timmings are still at 5-2-2-2 at these settings.

From reading up and doing a few test runs i've come to the conclusion that the 2T rate has a minimal effect in "Real" world gaming, sure it makes a differance if your heavily into benchmarking especialy sisandra and everest etc, but for your average guy then gaming is where it counts.

TBH what i've done isn't a route i'd recomend but if like myself your forced to go this way for lack of money reasons i'd still think very carfully before you do it.

I think my Winni was sent by god to make my life easier seeing as it does everything i ask of it ie: clocks to 2.8 and runs 4 x 512 at 200 with 2T @ 5-2-2-2. Oh and also still runs even though i've removed the IHS from it and made it a naked CPU now :)

Hope this post has been a little bit usefull for anyone thinking of going the 4 x 512 route ?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Dutch Guy said:
I meant it defaults to 333Mhz, 400Mhz is very possible and maybe even more, especially with a newer revision A64

Venice and San Diego default to 2t 400mhz, the older Winchester and Newcastles default to 2t 333mhz.

The defaults are VERY conservative, I could still run stable at 500Mhz 2t with 4x512mb of BH5 on an older Winchester core.

Associate
Mr Mister said:
some mobos will allow you to run 4 sticks at 1T now, only ones i know of are the dfi expert and the asus a8n sli premium. I tried 4 sticks on my ultra-d at 1T and it wouldnt go past post screen.

Theres no way a asus premium board will run 4 sticks at 1t. According to a review the xpert cant do it either. The only 939 board out there that can do it is the dfi rd580 xfire board

Soldato
ted34 said:
Theres no way a asus premium board will run 4 sticks at 1t. According to a review the xpert cant do it either. The only 939 board out there that can do it is the dfi rd580 xfire board
Wasn't it a DFI RDX200 mobo that can run 1T with 4 sticks :confused:

[edit]Yeah, the DFI RDX200 mobo can also run 4 sticks at 1T: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2572&p=5 [/edit]

Back
Top Bottom