Laptop Problems

Capodecina
Permabanned
Just setup my network, my PC is connecting to the wireless fine and i've had no problems, the laptop however is spouting some 'limited connection' carp and refuses to access the internet.

I've tried turning off the DHCP and setting the gateway and dns details but still no joy. It is actually saying it's connected to the network but still refuses to go online.

Router = Netgear Rangemax (ADSL/Router/Wireless AP)
Card = Rangemax wireless USB adapter

Any ideas are welcomed, my ma is kicking off big time about me getting it sorted :\

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you running the latest drivers for the range max usb stick and firmware on the router?

Can you turn on DHCP on the router and delete your manually entered settings. Run ipconfig/all from a cmd prompt and post your results.

Capodecina
Permabanned
OP
Phnom_Penh said:
Nah, it would say if it was. It sounds like its not handing out ips properly, have you got the latest firmware?

No have not updated the firmware yet will try that now.

The two other systems are getting stuck on 'acquiring IP address' and i'm not sure why.

Associate
limited connection means TCP/IP issues. Basically it can do layer2 communication but not layer3.
Normally means subnet mismatch or gateway missing. Possibly also it's looking for DHCP but cant find a DHCP server and is reverting to the failsafe IP config which will create a subnet mismatch. on the Laptop run a "ipconfig /all" see what it gives you. might as well do it on the others then you may find what the PC has that they don't.

Capodecina
Permabanned
OP
Skilldibop said:
limited connection means TCP/IP issues. Basically it can do layer2 communication but not layer3.
Normally means subnet mismatch or gateway missing. Possibly also it's looking for DHCP but cant find a DHCP server and is reverting to the failsafe IP config which will create a subnet mismatch. on the Laptop run a "ipconfig /all" see what it gives you. might as well do it on the others then you may find what the PC has that they don't.

Already done it and basically it's not picking up any details from the DHCP server at all, neither is my second PC. I'm really clueless here because I tried assigning static IPs and specifying the dns details too, but that never worked either...

The subnet mask is different and it's also not actually picking up the gateway address.

I'm really not sure why my setup worked first time but these two have limited connectivity.

Associate
well for a start i'd turn off DHCP everywhere and do it manually and make sure all IPs, subnets and gateways work. Then if it works turn them all onto DHCP, while disconnected. Then set up DhCP on the router to match the details you just used and then connect each PC one at a time and they should be happy as pigs in poop.

If they don't work on static with DHCP off then your router probably has bad firmware and isn't doing DHCP properly.

Capodecina
Permabanned
OP
Skilldibop said:
well for a start i'd turn off DHCP everywhere and do it manually and make sure all IPs, subnets and gateways work. Then if it works turn them all onto DHCP, while disconnected. Then set up DhCP on the router to match the details you just used and then connect each PC one at a time and they should be happy as pigs in poop.

If they don't work on static with DHCP off then your router probably has bad firmware and isn't doing DHCP properly.

I've had them all on static, the laptop actually worked fine when connected via an ethernet cable to the router. When I tried the same using the wireless it refused to connect yet again.

Capodecina
Permabanned
OP
Just thoguht i'd bump this again with a little update.

The laptop will work if Encryption is turned off (obviously not a good idea). The other PC still refuses. It just doesn't make any sense, possibly fault product to be honest.

Soldato
It would be the first Netgear DG834PN I've seen to be faulty as I've installed 17 of them so far and they have been fantastic without hicups but there's always a first.

Back
Top Bottom