What tyres would you recommend for an MG ZR?

Soldato
Hi!

I have recently bought an MG ZR 120+.

It is currently fitted with Michelin Pilot Premacy 205/50 R16 87W tyres on three wheels and some unknown Korean ditch finder on the back nearside tyre

I was going to replace the ditch finder with another Michelin Pilot Premacy to make all of the tyres match. It looks like this retails for about £120 per tyre including fitting and balancing

At our local tyre shop the guy strongly recommends Toyo tyres and he says that these are far superior. He says that the Michelin tyres are OK but they loose a lot of grip when they're about 50% worn. He recommended that I allow the unknown tyre to wear down and replace them both with Toyo tyres.

He says that as it's a front wheel drive car it's more important that the tyres match on the front.

What are your opinions on this?

Should I get another Michelin Pilot Premacy? Should I just replace them both with Toyo tyres? Any other tyres to consider?

Two of the Michelin tyres have plenty of tread, indeed one is has only a few thousand miles on it (bought a few months ago). One is about half worn

Many thanks!

Alistair

Permabanned
Toyo PRoxy T1-R are the dogs for the money...

Ultimate performance your looking at Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-3's.

Expensive, not very long lasting, but v grippy.

Permabanned
Personally.... No.

I would get new tyres all round if it was me. Im quite sure many people would rightly disagree, but with a new car at least you would have "balanced" grip characteristics front to rear.

I had mixed tyres on the coupe, and it was a nightmare. Replaced with 4 spanking new T1-R's and the difference is scary. It was plain dangerous before, at least its predictable now.

Especially as the tyres were only £63 each.

Soldato
OP
Hi

Thanks for the reply

New tyres all round would be desirable but at £120 per tyre I really can't afford this at the moment

I had mixed tyres on my Astra and it was scary - the back end would just snap out without warning.

If I buy another Michelin then the make would be matched, but not the wear. If I buy two new Toyo tyres then I would have two perfectly matched and two reasonably well matched (the two better Michelin's which aren't that worn) tyres in both make and wear (for the same axel)

If you were in this situation, would you go for:

a) New Michelin only

b) Two new Toyo tyres, place them on the front (with matched Michelins on the rear)

c) Two new Toyo tyres, place them on the rear (with matched Michelins on the front)

Sorry for all the questions - thanks for your help! :)

Permabanned
£120 per tyre?

You getting racing slicks?

I would imagine youve got 17" wheels too, and therefore tyres should only cost you sixty something.

Christ, even the Goodyear Eagle F1's are 'only' £90.

Permabanned
Those prices seem extreme.

Shop about, check the deals, im sure you can get the slightly older but still AMAZING T1-S tyres very cheaply.

Worth calling demon tweeks, and seeing if they have any stock of the odd sizes they want to shift.

Take a few days to shop tho, im pretty sure your gonna find some 16" tyres for well under the prices youve been quoted.

Dont worry about dropping a size too much, I ran 195/50/15 on my old coupe, and it was meant to have 195/55/15's. It actually felt better with the lower profiles on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Buy a set of 17" straights!

Cheaper, better alloys, with tyres.

The 17" tyres are cheaper than the 16" ones because as you say, they are the wrong size.

Associate
rcrossco_1 said:
Toyo PRoxy T1-R are the dogs for the money...

Ultimate performance your looking at Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-3's.

Expensive, not very long lasting, but v grippy.

Second the Toyo's I have them on my 172 and are very good and were only like £60. :D

Edit: to late, you already bought them :p

Associate
Sorry to come in so late when you had replaced the tyres.

Michelins pilot primacy are good hard wearing tyres, probabaly the best out in terms of how long they last.

I know coz i had 2 sets of them.

Major factor for me was the road noise, as they are a harder compound. You only notice the noise when you change not before.

You should be able to get Goodyear F1's for the same price, prices you are quoting are kwick fit etc prices.

Going rate for either is about £80 including valve/ bal and vat.

P.s i have the same tyre size as you.

Back
Top Bottom