Maxtor HD

Associate
I have finnaly convinced myself to get a new hard drive, my 80gb with only 2gb of space is to small now. I have been looking at the Maxtor Range SATA. The one i am interested in is this "Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 11 400GB 6H400F0 SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-074-MD)" Here are the specs for it -
- Capacity: 400GB
- Average seek time: <8.5
- Rotational speed: 7200 RPM
- 16MB cache buffer
- SATA-II Interface
- Native Command Queuing
- Fluid Dynamic Bearings
- Maxtor Shock Protection System
- Maxtor Data Protection System
- RoHS compliant
- 3 year manufacturer's warranty

I dont know much about hard drives (my 80gb IDE kinda explains that) and was just wondering what everyone thinks of this HD and if it is any good. I have been told to look for these keywords (16mb Cache and NCQ).

Permabanned
Maxtor are not bad but do have a bad reputation of failure etc. I have had a couple go pear shaped and will not buy that brand again. Samsung are very good as is Seagate. Hitachi is supposed to be very good too. If i were you i would look at a different brand.

Associate
OP
I have looked a bit deeper into different makes now and seen this one-
Seagate Barracude 7200.9 NCQ 300GB ST3300622AS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-066-SE).
With these specs-
Capacity: 300GB
- Speed: 7200 rpm
- Interface: SATA-II
- Cache: 16MB

I noticed in the description its has 16mb Cache and NCQ. 300GB seems a good decent size that will suit me and for £85 aswell.
Is this a good reliable hard drive?

Associate
I have 3 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 HDs, and they all have been working perfectly for the best part of a year. However they are LOUD!...they make more noise than my CPU fan and PSU put together. I would have sent them back but my laziness overcame me...and i just drown out the noise with my 7.1 speakers (tends to solve the problem most of the time :D )

Back
Top Bottom