Anyone recommend a TFT with TV tuner or scart/svideo input etc?

Soldato
I'm after a CHEAP option for a TFT which I can watch TV on.

I already have a sender unit on my Sky box downstairs, so I can get another receiver unit for it and then plug it into (via a scart/svideo) into the TFT and therefore allowing me to watch SKY.

The TFT is for a second machine in my room so can be small (eg: 15") and average quality.

So as long as it has say 1024x800 resolution, scart/svideo in should be OK... (Obviously an internal tuner analog/digital would be a bonus).

Cheers...

Associate
you can look at LCD TVs with SVIDEO, if your CArd has an SVIDEO out then that'll work for you. you can get SVIDEO to scart dongles and stuff too.
tho i prefer not to skimp on monitors as i value my non aching eyes.

Soldato
OP
Skilldibop said:
you can look at LCD TVs with SVIDEO, if your CArd has an SVIDEO out then that'll work for you. you can get SVIDEO to scart dongles and stuff too.
tho i prefer not to skimp on monitors as i value my non aching eyes.

Huh? Not sure if we're talking about the same thing here. I have a second machine which currently has a CRT. I'm wondering if I can replace it with a cheap TFT which can also be used as a TV (somehow).

Ideally, it would allow me to flick between the PCs image, and the tuner or svideo/scart image. In an ideal work, picture in picture would be fab!

Soldato
OP
IT Insider said:
Hyundai ImageQuest L19T+ might fit the bill - its a PC Monitor with a built in TV Tuner...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/lcdtv19.html

the first one!

For a second machine (ie: not my main one) that doesn't get used much, and just to get TV in my study, £300 is a bit too much to justify :( :)

They do it in 17" for £225, but even that's too much to justify to be honest... If they just did a 15" one for £150 or something :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
bbreezeuk said:
hardly anyone does 15"ers with a tv tuner, 17" 4TW

Grrr... Goodmans do the GLCD15M2. It's a 15" LCD screen with a number of inputs for a PC and an external freeview box, which they supply!

So it can be a PC monitor or a TV! Great!

Now this is where poor product design shows you how a simple thing can make or kill an item. There isn't a simple way to flick between the two inputs. To switch from the TV to PC, or back again, you have to got through about 2-3 levels of the menu system!

If there was just a button on the monitor to select the input, great! But nope! They really dropped the ball with that one!

Last edited:
Permabanned
It is a shame monitors don't have as many inputs, I think they do it on purpose to make us spend more on a proper TV. A certain Viewsonic model springs to mind that has about 5 more inputs on the US model. :rolleyes:

Permabanned
NeilFawcett said:
Grrr... Goodmans do the GLCD15M2. It's a 15" LCD screen with a number of inputs for a PC and an external freeview box, which they supply!

So it can be a PC monitor or a TV! Great!

Now this is where poor product design shows you how a simple thing can make or kill an item. There isn't a simple way to flick between the two inputs. To switch from the TV to PC, or back again, you have to got through about 2-3 levels of the menu system!

If there was just a button on the monitor to select the input, great! But nope! They really dropped the ball with that one!

Got one of these for the parents new kitchen and my god HOW RUBBISH is it!! The picture quality was absolutely awful (horrible washed out colour and blurry picture) and the build quality was also extremely poor! So that went back under the 7 Days DSR2000 and luckily because they had made an error on the description on the site they came and picked it up :D

So after doing some research I opted for an Acer 19" WS TFT (£175 delivered)
b000ccb0og02lzzzzzzz7jb.jpg

This is a superb panel with classy looks and rock solid build quality and then to get the Freeview I bought a AverMedia AverTV Box STB7 for £75:
avermediaa212big6vl.jpg

The picture Quality was miles better when compared to the Goodmans or any of the TFT+Freeview screens I had seen in No competitor talk please! (Don't worry I wasn't gonna buy anything from their :p )

So for £250 I managed to get a 19" TFT freeview rig that out-classed ones I had seen for almost twice the money :eek: Also the AverMedia box allowed for easy connection of a Media-PC (SVGA) and composite (Xbox) with seamless switching between all source's via the remote!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So I could get a AverMedia AverTV Box STB7 which outputs to a monitor, and I could then feed inputs into it from my PC?

ie: So I could use the monitor to watch TV, or for my PC at a flick of a button on the remote?

Soldato
Do a Google for the "Maxim 17" Widescreen LCD TV"

It has a load of inputs, including SCART (Hook up to the receiver unit) and VGA (computer). Has a resolution of 1280x768 for PC use, and comes with a remote; it doesn't look like it should be too much of a task to switch between the two sources. It's not exactly brand name, but it is widescreen. Can be had for about £220 :)

Soldato
OP
Al Vallario said:
doesn't look like it should be too much of a task to switch between the two sources.

That's what you would have thought about the Goodmans as well :rolleyes:

Cheers... I'll look into it and the Relisys RLT1720....

Back
Top Bottom