Cisco 877

Soldato
I have a Draytek Vigor 2600plus at home.

I have a 500Mhz Mini-ITX box running Smoothwall in Durham (with an external modem).

I'm toying with the idea of replacing them both (one at a time) with Cisco 877s.

I have 3 aims with this:
1. Increased stability generally.
2. More reliable site-to-site VPN connection.
3. To learn something.

I haven't got much Cisco experience. In fact, the only experience I have is I bought a 700 series ISDN router a while ago - I managed to configure that well enough. Nothing too advanced though.

Anyone have any opinions on whether this sounds like a good plan or lunacy?

Cheers.

Caporegime
They're nice machines (as long as you don't get bitten by the issues it seems to have with some DSLAMs).
Hardly cheap though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Skilldibop said:
i personally prefer letting VPN pass through the router and end point on a firewall like a sonicwall Pro model.
And I thought suggesting buying the Cisco 877 was excessive! :p

It's only for home/office use, so I don't think that's going to be necessary.

One query I have got is this though. I know that it's universally hated, insecure, whatever - but uPnP. The Cisco won't have this, and the Draytek/Smoothwall does. I don't need it for anything other than MSN Messenger - which microsoft seem to have made fairly crippled without it.

Although thinking about it, I don't really do file transfers or voice that often - but does anyone know of a way of making this work? Short of forwarding the ports to whichever PC you happen to be on?

Associate
I upgraded from the 2600G to the cisco 877W.

Great router but update the IOS from 12.3.8 to 12.4.6 and the sdm version version has just recently been upgraded to 2.3 which, with that router has much more functionality. Gettin the ios is a pain unless you have a cisco contract though. Im sure the router doesnt support uPnP and file transfers are slow using msn, MSN will work but slow to transfer files. Think you would have to forward ports to get it to work well, i havent dabbled on this aspect yet :)

I had no experience of the IOS when i bought this router so found it hard going. To update the IOS you will need to know basic IOS commands but this guide can be found on the net,

Last edited:
Caporegime
SmartNet contract isn't massively expensive though (versus the price of the router anyway), and gets you IOS upgrades (within the same feature set and major version IIRC).

Soldato
OP
tolien said:
SmartNet contract isn't massively expensive though (versus the price of the router anyway), and gets you IOS upgrades (within the same feature set and major version IIRC).
What sort of price are we talking? I take it it'd be cheaper than buying a new router every year, so I'd guess it'd be under £300/yr...#

Think I found one - £50/yr sound about right?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom