• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best Video Card for £200 !

Associate
Hi, my budget is £200 and was wondering what you think the best graphics card i could get for that money?

I want a PCI-Express card and prefer Nvidia.
I was looking at the 6800 Series but not sure whether thats the best option to go for, what do you think?

I will be using my new setup mainly for Gaming and maybe some video editing, but deffently gaming more then anything.

Permabanned
for your budget the best value card is the X1800XT 256mb, if you like nvidia, tough. be sensible and base your choice on the best bang for buck and not your preference for a graphics lable.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your input, i'll probably go for the x1800 xt.

If i could swing a bit more money would you recommend the 512 MB version or would you just not bother? Just wondering if you could actually notice a big difference between the two cards.

Permabanned
Cyber-Mav said:
how much faster is a x1800xt than 7900gt?

its about even untill you crank on the AA and AF, then it pulls ahead.

friddela said:
Thanks for your input, i'll probably go for the x1800 xt.

If i could swing a bit more money would you recommend the 512 MB version or would you just not bother? Just wondering if you could actually notice a big difference between the two cards.

if this is the last card your planning to buy before the DX10 cards early next year, get the 512mb version, especially if your going above 1024X768 and using AA/AF

i have the 512mb version, ive yet to find a game i cant run maxed out at 1280X1024 :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
Jack Bauer said:
agree with the above, getting the 256 card is just limiting your future gaming performace. At the price differnce im supprised the 256 card sells at all.
I just bought the 256MB version, it was pretty much at the limit of my budget since I was also upgrading to 2GB RAM. This is going to easily tide me over until I build an entirely new computer with the launch of Vista.

Soldato
superpc said:
But no need for a 512mb version if you use a normal Res?
The only real reason I, personaly, would buy a 512MB card is for games like COD2, Quake IV, Doom III, and I think F.E.A.R. which use extremely detailed uncompressed textures as an option for 512MB video cards, and these games tend to get huge performance increases with them.

Personally, all I'm playing at the moment is Oblivion, The Godfather, and Battlefield 2. So I will be fine with 256MB video, at least until Vista is out.

Back
Top Bottom