wiring help (Again)

Associate
Hi all

Anyone help with wiring this? i've got a rocker switch (3 pin) that i want to use to switch the leds (using for lighting) on and off,

Image1.jpg

Soldato
Humm be careful with what people suggest as it may blow your psu, test on a cheap on first.

I would feel happier using another power supply, not the PSU to run them, then its a case of just turning it on and off.

Associate
OP
They are all rated for pc's

"This is a switch suitable for a 21mm diameter hole and is an 'inline' switch designed to switch power on or off to 12v devices (eg fans , cold cathode lights etc"

Soldato
I have blown a PSU up with one of thoose lights and sticking the switch on the wire poorly :p

The way it should be done is both wires cut, then solder it to each side of a 6 pin switch; that works.

It may also work by doing it to only one leg of the wire, but when I tried it back in the days of 230w PSU's it just made it go bang :cool:

Associate
Going to have to agree with Yewen as any home wiring can be lethal if it’s done wrong. All you need is a cheap £20 PSU and 30min of free time to make a test PSU.

I’ve sealed a solder join with silicone before only to melt it during braiding completing the circuit. Luckily my test PSU took the brunt of it AND still came back for more.

Soldato
It is just ive had it happen with EXACTLY what your trying to do, I have the burn marks in my Scorpio case to prove it :D

Wire them up to a battery, what I ended up doing :p

Associate
Why the panic like responses guys, is it because your worried the cold cathode will cause a problem? The switch it's self should be simple to wire up with no risk. A multi meter would be nice to check which connections but all that will happen if you choose the wrong pair is it plain won't work.

Associate
Its not hard for god sake, you bunch a wusses

Yellow is 12v black is 0v

Cut the yellow wire in half, strip the ends, put heat shrink over the wire, connect the yellow wire to one side of the switch and the other end to the central pin then solder the wire to the switch and heat shrink to prevent short circuits over the terminals.

Doing this should leave the molex ready to connect to the PSU.

Iv done this with cathodes and it works fine aslong as you dont cross over the black and yellow wires why should anything go wrong.

Associate
sagaboy2 said:
Its not hard for god sake, you bunch a wusses

Yellow is 12v black is 0v

Cut the yellow wire in half, strip the ends, put heat shrink over the wire, connect the yellow wire to one side of the switch and the other end to the central pin then solder the wire to the switch and heat shrink to prevent short circuits over the terminals.

Doing this should leave the molex ready to connect to the PSU.

Iv done this with cathodes and it works fine aslong as you dont cross over the black and yellow wires why should anything go wrong.

hehe hence my reply /wink... but never having used cold cathodes I was wondering if I'd missed something.. the switch it's self is totally worry free.

Associate
OP
sagaboy2 my hero :p but i like the idea of a test psu!!! a small local pc shop is going to put a secondhand one aside for me, they won't sell second psu's on normally but they don't mind me having one to mod for testing purposes, think that's really good of them :)

Back
Top Bottom